8.8 ford rearend

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebox

has any one used a ford 8.8 rear axle in a build? i have a 95 explorer that has a locker i want to use.i see that i will have to use a dana spicer adaptor . i was wondering what u-joint i need to hook it up to a 1973 chevy drive shaft.
icebox

1973 Chevy what? Nova? Impala? Truck?

Whatever it is, you should remove the joint, measure the diameter of all 4 end caps, and the width both ways. Caps should all be the same size, and widths the same.

1310 - 1 1/16'' caps, 3 7/32'' wide.

1330 - 1 1/16'' caps, 3 5/8'' wide.

1350 - 1 3/16'' caps, 3 5/8'' wide.

I've used 2 of them. I think they are great, mostly because you can find them with disk brakes and I like the ease of bolt-on u-joint flange.

It's not a locker, but a limited slip.

The best thing to do is go grab a driveshaft from the yard out of any 8.8 car or truck (mustang, town car, crown vic, exploder, etc). Bring that and your chevy shaft to the driveshaft shop and have them combine the two. I don't think you are going to find a u-joint that makes the conversion directly.

I ran a mopar driveshaft with a chevy motor and chevy wagon rear. the U-Joints on one side of both ends were longer than the other. I drove that car for 9 years without any problems. The motor was a high HP...

im using a explorer rear with disc brakes . also have a crown vic rear same set up. the explorer fits closer to the body. im building a 27 T .

Different size u-joints

Icebox you need to find a driveshaft shop in your area, they do make different size u-joints, with 2 different size caps, a good driveshaft shop can make you anything you need, and fix you up.

If you have both U joints from the shaft and the yoke take them to NAPA and find a guy that know what he is doing. They should be able to hook you up.

They do it for me all the time.

I have bought 2 u joints and swapped the caps, ie 1" and 1 1/8" to make a hybrid joint. Some places sell them, but it was quicker to just pay for an extra one. Off road shops do a lot of driveshaft mods and should have a ton of experience with different U joints.

i used a couple in s10 will bolt right in just about 3" wider all you need is convertion u-joint oreillys usually have them but they have to look in there book and you need to know which 2 types you have so they can find the right one but then again you need someone that knows what to look for in the book i just tell them to give me the book and look myself because most never heard od a u-joint with 2 different sizes

The orileys we got our easy parts for the rod shop from like spark plugs,plug wires,and u joints from in arkansas always had them in stock,and they were known as "conversion joints" If the idiot's there could figure it out anyone can ! :rolleyes:

I just picked up a Ford Ranger 8.8 drum brake limited slip with 3:78 gears cheap and it is a perfect width for my A framed T coupe.

If it's an 8.8 then it most likely came from an Explorer. Rangers used the 7.5 which looks real similar. Maybe some of the late models with the 4.0 used the 8.8 but not sure

The one I picked up was from a 2000 Ranger it has the large 10" brakes and the limited slip. I checked it out when I was buying new rear axle bearings and seals.

While not super common, some Rangers did come with the 8.8. Usually found in 4x4's and/or behind the 4.0L engine.

Latest posts

Back