dually rear axle vs standerd

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealnart

I just bought a 68 chevy with a 327 and a turbo 400 with a dually rear end i want to put this set up under my 29 model a pickup. A friend of mine is trying to talk me out of the dually set up becuase he says parts cost alot more. plz let me know what your thoughts are
Thanks

parts for the dually rear end cant be that significant over a standard single axle. I see them being a lil more due to size but nothing that would sway me away from using it.

I know this post is kind of old, but depending on the axle the only difference in the two axles is the width. I have build Dana 60's, Dana 70's and corporate 14 bolts. Only difference in single wheel and dual wheel axles were how wide they are. Still use the same gears between the two.

I know this post is kind of old, but depending on the axle the only difference in the two axles is the width. I have build Dana 60's, Dana 70's and corporate 14 bolts. Only difference in single wheel and dual wheel axles were how wide they are. Still use the same gears between the two.

I'm guessing here, but the single wheel 8 stud rearend would be the wider of the two??

I'm guessing here, but the single wheel 8 stud rearend would be the wider of the two??

Not really. Some dually rears are narrower then single wheel ones. But then there are wide track dually rears that are wider than the single wheel ones. Many of the wide track rears came in the box vans. Clear as mud?[cl

Not really. Some dually rears are narrower then single wheel ones. But then there are wide track dually rears that are wider than the single wheel ones. Many of the wide track rears came in the box vans. Clear as mud?[cl

Yep...clear as mud.:D Guess that's why they made tape measure's. I have a 70's Dodge pick up with the 8 stud single wheel rear. Shouldn't be to hard to narrow things up if need be.

I don't have the Dana numbers in front of me, but here are the widths for a 14 bolt.
Single wheel- 67.5"
Dual wheel- 72"
Cab and chassis- 63.5"
Van- 70"
I've never seen a dual wheel axle narrower than a single. The cab and chassis axle are dual, but just as wide as a single wheel when all 4 tires are on. They come on work trucks with the utility beds.

I don't have the Dana numbers in front of me, but here are the widths for a 14 bolt.
Single wheel- 67.5"
Dual wheel- 72"
Cab and chassis- 63.5"
Van- 70"
I've never seen a dual wheel axle narrower than a single. The cab and chassis axle are dual, but just as wide as a single wheel when all 4 tires are on. They come on work trucks with the utility beds.

Yeah as he said I am going to run dually on mine searched high and low for a cab and chassis dual axle found mine in a Dana 70 with 410 gears out of a mid 90's ford utility truck. It is only 3 inches wider than the 9 inch ford I have and it's the same u-joint on mine so worked out great.

Dana 70 is a beast of an axle. I'm looking for one to put in my 57 GMC. If you wanted to make it 100 pounds lighter you can put disk brakes on it for pretty cheap.

Dana 70 is a beast of an axle. I'm looking for one to put in my 57 GMC. If you wanted to make it 100 pounds lighter you can put disk brakes on it for pretty cheap.

All the information I've found shows the D70 rear wheel as a SRW setup...

If I wanted to find one of these D70's DRW where would I look?

Chevy ran a Dana 70 for there dually axles in the 70s and maybe the 80s before they started using the 14 bolt. Google it. Look at RuffStuff Specialties.com for disk brake brackets. These one ton axles are common in the 4wd and rock crawling world. You can search Pirate4x4.com for Dana info also.

Latest posts

Back