6x7.25 Dually Rims

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Alright... So I'm not sure where wheel/tire questions or advice should go to so I thought I'd throw it up here...

I need to get rid of these widowmakers that I got on the Binder now, they're 17"??? 6x7.25 split rims with tubes I'd like to change and get some real tires on there.

Should I find some rims that fit...get some custom made - or should I just go ahead and get wheel adapters made?

You may have to get your centers welded to one piece hoops or go the adapter route. I kinda doubt you'll find any modern wheels in your bolt pattern.

I have the same rims on my 'binder and must say getting new rims are all but impossible to find other than the original ones.
BTW I like the widowmakers as there are not too many people that will work on them leaving us old timers to do real work. I recently got a bead axe (even before I saw the truck) and now I have a use for it [cl:D

You really need to be careful with those old two and three piece rims. I've seen holes in a 3/4" thick plywood wall where one of those rings blew off and went through the wall! :eek: The tire had been mounted sometime before and was sitting in a rack!

If you plan on using them, inspect the rings and rim for cracks and rusted portions REAL GOOD. I would sandblast or wire brush them to get them down to bare metal so you can see real good any defects. If you find any defects, throw them in the scrap pile, it's not worth it to endanger your life or anybody else's life.

When you mount the tire/tube on the wheel, take a chain and wrap it around and through the wheel/tire assembly before you ever put any air in. Allow only enough slack to get the chain off after you inflate the tire. Big tire stores and truck stops have a steel cage they use to air tires up in, and some use a chain, too. It's best to use a clip on air chuck so that you don't have to have your arm over the wheel. Add air slowly, watching and listening. Act like your woking with a bomb, because you are! After you get it aired up, let it sit a few minutes, then bump the ring with the sledge hammer.....don't take that chain off before you do this! If everything stays put, it's probably OK.

I know this may sound like a bunch of malarky, but there was a reason they outlawed 3 piece rims, and changed the design of 2 piece rims. THEY CAN HURT OR KILL YOU!!!!!

Use this information at your own risk.

You really need to be careful with those old two and three piece rims. I've seen holes in a 3/4" thick plywood wall where one of those rings blew off and went through the wall! :eek: The tire had been mounted sometime before and was sitting in a rack!

If you plan on using them, inspect the rings and rim for cracks and rusted portions REAL GOOD. I would sandblast or wire brush them to get them down to bare metal so you can see real good any defects. If you find any defects, throw them in the scrap pile, it's not worth it to endanger your life or anybody else's life.

When you mount the tire/tube on the wheel, take a chain and wrap it around and through the wheel/tire assembly before you ever put any air in. Allow only enough slack to get the chain off after you inflate the tire. Big tire stores and truck stops have a steel cage they use to air tires up in, and some use a chain, too. It's best to use a clip on air chuck so that you don't have to have your arm over the wheel. Add air slowly, watching and listening. Act like your woking with a bomb, because you are! After you get it aired up, let it sit a few minutes, then bump the ring with the sledge hammer.....don't take that chain off before you do this! If everything stays put, it's probably OK.

I know this may sound like a bunch of malarky, but there was a reason they outlawed 3 piece rims, and changed the design of 2 piece rims. THEY CAN HURT OR KILL YOU!!!!!

Use this information at your own risk.
Don't worry as I've been a mechanic for many years and did work on them in the '70s, I'm still around.[cl

IH changed from 6 to 8 lug on the RA-15 for the C to D line transition('69 'model year'). I do not believe that the spindle dimensions were changed or the brake backing plate bolt pattern. 6 lug hub off, 8 lug hub on, brake parts as necessary if there's a change in drum width(2.5" vs 3").

Of course that basically means you need a newer RA-15 donor.... :rolleyes:

That is what a fellow forum member said on BinderPlanet...but I'm confused as far as what it means! If anyone can dumb it down for me I'd greatly appreciate it...

Don't worry as I've been a mechanic for many years and did work on them in the '70s, I'm still around.[cl

I posted that mostly for the folks that have never dealt with those types of wheels. I had done some back in the early 80's on some old log trailers that the company I worked for back then had.

I didn't mean to be rude as I do realize who you were referring to :cool:;) What I should have said was that if you are careful and take the time to read up on these rims you can be assured that you can mount tires in relative safety. If you pay attention and do things right the first time.

It sounds like this guy is saying that a set of drums from a '69 PU will fit on the old 6 bolt spindles with no troubles.

Hmmm... that seems so difficult!

The piece that the lug nuts are attached to (forgive me non-proper lingo) seems to be loose on one of my rims...two questions...

Is this a major concern - is it suppose to be able to come part?
Also, if it is supposed to be able to come apart, can I just take it apart and have a custom one made, it just appears to be a flat piece of metal that I can just have cut and then I can drill out the right holes?

I didn't mean to be rude as I do realize who you were referring to :cool:;) What I should have said was that if you are careful and take the time to read up on these rims you can be assured that you can mount tires in relative safety. If you pay attention and do things right the first time.

I didn't take it that you were rude at all. Just wanted to get the info out for the younger guys that probably have never dealt with split rims before. Us older farts have been there done that most of the time.:D

I didn't take it that you were rude at all. Just wanted to get the info out for the younger guys that probably have never dealt with split rims before. Us older farts have been there done that most of the time.:D

I've never handled split rims and I'm very concerned - the girlfriends father called them "widow makers" and said he's seen a close friend just about lose an arm.

They can be very dangerous to work with /around. there are people that can give 1st hand accounts of near death encounters working with them. I always counted my lucky stars when I got away from that aspect of my training I did see one guy get hit square in the chest from a chain that broke when he was filling the tire and it let go, broke every one of his ribs on the right side. He had to retire after that.

Latest posts

Back