Rear suspension question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menace

What in the H*ll is the rear suspension called with a leaf spring from side to side ? Anyone know where to find info on doing my own. My S-10 rear is a little longer than I want, but needed for the current leaf spring set-up.
Thanks

You mean like this?

tpaintedrearendinstalled-1.jpg

I've just always called them cross spring or buggy spring suspensions. There may be a more correct term, but I don't recall it. This one is a Model A rear spring on an S10 rear, to give you some perspective.

Don

Yep, that's it, sorta. I didn't realize it had that high of an arch. Anybody know of a home-made version or something similar ? I thought about an air bag set up, but I'm not real familiar with them or the components needed.
Thanks for your responses.

You can use a '35-'48 Ford front or rear transverse spring if you want one with less of an arch. Lots of info out there on setting them up, with pinion angle and hanger placement being major concerns. If that is the route you want to go I would highly suggest ditching the whole S-10 frame idea and building a custom chassis. Not only is the S-10 chassis hideously ugly when exposed, it just doesn't look right at all. Your end result would be much cleaner and more correct looking, not like a junkyard/demo derby refugee...

A few years of Later model Vetts used a flat crosways rear spring, and some 80s Buicks did also. Fiberglass I think... Google them and check it out.

PA41

Latest posts

Back