31 Chevy sedan hot rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screwshiney

So i've always wanted a pre WWII vehicle. I've had a few 60's trucks, i have a 52 plymouth and a 52 international but i've always loved the look of the 20's and 30's vehicles. After searching and searching i finally came upon this 31 down in Tennessee. I wanted something complete b/c i'm keeping the fenders, grille and hood and i didn't want to have to try and find that stuff and pay out the wazoo for it. Not to mention this came with the orig title. So after a 4.5hr drive i was the proud new owner of this 1931 Chevy Sedan!

Plans are to keep it looking "stock" but i'm going to raise the fenders and running boards to the bottom of the rockers so it'll be able to sit low yet still retain the "stock" look. I will prob have to put it on air just for clearance reasons but once it's laid out the running boards will lay flat on the ground.

Engine: Small block or big block w/ turbo. Shooting for around 450-500hp.
Frame: 2x4 3/16" wall
Rear: ?
Trans: TH350 or 700r4
Body: 3-4" chop, raise running boards and fenders, rebuild floor for tubbed rear and lots of other little bits here and there.
Front end: Custom...

truck019.jpg

truck018.jpg

kycarshow216.jpg

kycarshow218.jpg

kycarshow221.jpg

kycarshow223.jpg

kycarshow226.jpg

kycarshow225.jpg

kycarshow228.jpg

Just building it as a driver w/ some power plus to be able to drive it anywhere.

Gotta go now, going to get me wisdom teeth pulled. Yaaay!

Geeesssh, don't let em take all the wisdom-----
Man, I turned down a chance to buy a truck cab on Saturday that as better than that. I just don't think I am capable of doing that level of body work. Good luck. perley

Damn this sucks!! Got some mighy fine pain pills though.

Yea I know it's a bit rough but I like a challenge. Plus I have nothing but time on my hands. I've got a few unique ideas I've been saving for a project like this.

A few years ago I was too slow to react and I missed out on a 1932 Chevy Sedan. I love those cars! You're off and runnin' for sure. I am gonna be watching this build. [P

Mr. Shiney. Remember, do not operate power tools while taking pain pills.[ddev

I know experienced hot rod builder friends who have become discouraged working on those wood-filled Chevys. I think you gotta break the project down in to a bunch of little sub-projects and not worry about the big picture. Plus you will get lots of encouragement here at RRR.

Good luck with the project. I like those Chevys too.[cl

Lol yea you ain't kidding bob. I was making some chili for tomorrow when I can actually eat and they hit me, I was like hey now lol. I can't imagine trying to use the plasma cutter all doped up.

Yea I think I'm gonna either start on getting the cab all braced up, then cut out the make shift roof that's in it. OR build the frame and front end.

I'd really like to find a set of rear fenders. Nothing new, just old and in one piece.

Well got a bit done this weekend. I decided to build a frame table cause my garage floor is a bit on the way uneven side.

ea39879a.jpg

b6d86c96.jpg

8aa3188a.jpg

e26dd85e.jpg

Just ordered my front end parts from Speedway. I'm going with 49-59 chevy car spindles that are machined for newer disc brakes, then i'll machine end tubes to work with the front end i'm building. Also found a 350 and 4spd trans for $50 about 20min down the road from me that i think i'll get just for mock up. ALSO, found a complete 9" that i'm going to shorten and convert to disc brakes.

Latest posts

Back