Different Steering Wheel Choices

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivanogburn

Okay, let me start by declaring this a "I am bored Wednesday" topic.

So can anyone converse on the pros and cons of using non-conventional steering wheels in your rides.

I am looking for something different, than the standard factory steering wheel that came with my 66' C10 or the standard "Grant-Style" aftermarket wheels..

I have seen some cool old tractor steering wheels, old speed boat wheels and the old fashioned butter-fly dragster/go cart style wheels.

Any one using ony of these types?

This is the style that came factory in my 66 Chevy pickup.

deluxe%20steering%20wheel%201.jpg

I don't think I would like the butter fly wheel ... may cause some trouble turning , I put a smaller three spoke wheel from a Pontiac in my 65 ford .. I liked it even though it had Pontiac in the center of it .. If it looks good to ya swap it out .. If you don't have power steering the smaller you get it the tougher it will be to turn , it was on mine anyway:D
Also because of tough steering I took a 1975 ford trucks power steering box and it bolted up perfect to the frame.. so I had power steering in my 65 .. That was nice [cl

Last edited:
'60s steering wheel on a '59 Chevy pickup?

While we're on the subject, will a '60s Chevy truck steering wheel pop right onto my '59 steering column? I found one for cheap and like the look. :)

Thanks - its a 1950 Ford 8n tractor wheel.
I wanted something shallow dish big big diameter to help with steering.
Kind of a scrounged-farm theme going on.

My long legs got in my way.....

I had to go with a smaller diameter wheel because my legs are so long, I'm 6'2".... I don't think I'll ever be able to drive an AD truck...:(

This is in my 64 C-10

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 53
Higher than normal thin seat back, tilt column, and an 80-something Firebird flat steering wheel gave me the room I needed to fit my 6'3" 250+ self in my '38.

And to think I used to drive a Fiat 124 Spyder.
The seat back thickness plays a part in the leg room for you taller folks.
Thinner seat backs = more leg room.

Latest posts

Back