Reaper's Jeeprod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaper

Welp, gonna start this thread for my current (and first) build. I recently received a 1976 CJ7 for the price of having a buddy tow it from NC to SC. It was my father's project but due to some health issue and hip replacements he passed it on to me. Here it is the day it arrived home.

UQocU0A.png

I planned on a full restore to it's original form but after looking it over and swallowing some reality I ditched that idea. The driver's side is pretty much shot, some sketchy repairing/bodywork was done by the PO.

QdYyD4h.jpg

02TSuyf.jpg

Looking under the driver's side rear wheel well.

----------

xJIoUqv.jpg

tfBBopx.jpg

Driver's side rear wheel well (well, where it used to be).
----------

FGZ4qFP.jpg

As a body/paint man...this was the most heartbreaking discovery.

---------

bEYEixi.jpg

Rear Shot
---------

After realizing I just didn't care enough to sink the time/money into a complete rotisserie restore project, I toyed with the idea of doing what everyone else does with their CJ, lift kit & mud tires. Then browsing instagram one evening I came across this:

RQLEPe5.png

It pretty much sold me on the idea of doing a "jeep rod" which led me to here. I'm still in the teardown stage so I'll be posting plenty of updates!

It ain't nuttin but sheet metal man! Buy some sheet steel and go to cutting and welding. [cl
Until the 46 popped up in front of me, I was considering another build with a Jeep. They make cool rods...

Any thing for the Smallfoot

Here was my idea, but a google search will give you lots more. :p
They are fun to run and you won't see a lot of them on the road[S

Attachments

• Build 082.jpg
    Build 082.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 32
Yup, that's all pretty flat metal, not hard to fix, just a lot of it!!
A few years ago at Kool Deadwood Nights I saw one kinda like the tan one, only in army colors. They kept the front diff but flipped it backwards and had a 4 blade fan on the yoke that spun when the jeep moved.

Sounds like a cool build. Keepus posted.

Absolutely

I was thinking prime candidate for a glass tub but that pic changed my mind[cl

That my original train of thought as well, being able to do what I want with the body and welding in whats needed just seems so much easier.

It ain't nuttin but sheet metal man! Buy some sheet steel and go to cutting and welding. [cl
Until the 46 popped up in front of me, I was considering another build with a Jeep. They make cool rods...

Being able to modify the body to be exactly what I want without having to destroy a classic jeep makes this too easy of a choice to take. I've spent plenty of time googling/searching for other jeeprod builds/pictures and absolutely love the look of them. I was instantly sold on the idea.

Here was my idea, but a google search will give you lots more. :p
They are fun to run and you won't see a lot of them on the road[S
Very very cool, I've never seen one in person anywhere local, shows or anything so thats adding some bonus points for me.

Yup, that's all pretty flat metal, not hard to fix, just a lot of it!!
A few years ago at Kool Deadwood Nights I saw one kinda like the tan one, only in army colors. They kept the front diff but flipped it backwards and had a 4 blade fan on the yoke that spun when the jeep moved.

I'd originally planned to do mine tan as well with some kind of bedliner stuff during the 4wd phase of planning...which is another reason that one caught my eye. Deciding to go the rat/rod route means I'll be going flat black/primer now though.

I've thought doing the same thing with the front axle, just flipping it and leaving it open, I'm planning on going quarter elliptical so hopefully that'll work out.

Last edited:
Still tearing it down, front fenders and grill out, starting tearing into the mess under the dash as well. Not much but progress is progress, right?[;) Hope to pull the steering and have the body off tomorrow.

Lk48vyI.jpg

----------------------

Now I know its still too early to really be planning anything out but I'm thinking about keeping the front axle, disconnecting the Xfer case, leaving the diff open. Im leaning more towards a quarter elliptical with that setup, any advice or suggestions on that?

Powerplant will be a 400 SBC or BBC whichever I can get my hands on first mated to an automatic, probably a built 700r4. Junkyard turbo kit and nitrous (more so for the aesthetic).

Rear-end, can I get away without having to narrow the rear-end of the body? Is there an axle to clear the body, Id like the body to sit between the rear wheels. Is this even possible with the factory frame (with modification of course) or is this something more reserved for completely custom frames.

What part of the country are you in Reaper? I have a round tube straight axle off a dj5 mail jeep that would fit right in there and you wouldn't have to worry about turning all the crap in the 4wd front axle everywhere you go. If it's unreasonable for shipping...you can still find those around. It would be an option. 5x5 1/2" lug pattern(Big Ford).

What part of the country are you in Reaper? I have a round tube straight axle off a dj5 mail jeep that would fit right in there and you wouldn't have to worry about turning all the crap in the 4wd front axle everywhere you go. If it's unreasonable for shipping...you can still find those around. It would be an option. 5x5 1/2" lug pattern(Big Ford).

Greatly appreciated, Im in SC. Last time I went to the local pick and pull they have a few old 2wd mail jeeps, Ill give them a check this weekend.

Managed to get a little more done before the rain came this morning...got 45%+ chance of rain for the next 7 days...should be great:mad::mad:

D4woRwl.png

Latest posts

Back