MACKAZs 22 Buick model 45 Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woo hoo. The CO2 bottle passed test and its filled ready to go. Pity the miserable sod (my younger brother) I bought it off told me there was wire in it. There bloody well isn't any, dammit. So purchase of a wire spool imminent. I got probably half hour of gasless wire left. I'm going to burn that tomorrow on the trans tunnel and have a go at folding up a driveshaft tunnel

Soooo I bought a spool of wire and put it in the welder. Pushed the ol girl outside and had first turn with it. To put it lightly I reckon the gasless looks better!!!! I tried a whole heap of different things but to no avail. Im welding with CO2 (first time) does this give a "messy" looking weld??? There was a very light dust of surface rust, could that be the cause? Ill get some photos tomorrow

Here's a weld sample. Can anyone shed any light?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 53
Sectioned the muffler apart last night, then jumped up n down on it a couple of times. Needless to say, it's made an awesome tunnel. Has a very slight point at the top that's gonna look different to the normal rolled or square look. Just need to do a few measurements, cut the excess off, and burn it on. And best bit, it's only cost a few zipdiscs. My kinda price!!!! Because my budget is $5k NZ on the road. Optimistic but I reckon I can do it. Oh any ideas on the weld post 2 up from here??

Finished forming the tunnel today. Dads going to come out and check what's happening with this welder. I have enquired about getting the driveshaft done, just waiting on a reply

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 33
Pic is of the raw panel steel gearbox tunnel, haven't hit the driveshaft tunnel yet! I am aware of aluminised exhaust coatings, cleaning that up is the next mission.

sorry man didn't read your thread properly..

looks to me as if the wind took away your co2 gas.. (maybe?) not sure what your flow rate is, mine - co2 outdoors is up to 15lpm and I go through left hand gloves , mainly to steady the headpiece, but also as a shield to prevent shield gas loss

Also Co2 is filled by weight ,, as it liquefies under pressure at around -34c, as a result is a cooler gas than argosheild .. you may want to adjust your weld amp / wire settings

just a thought

oh yeah and nice tub by the way !!!,,, like that twin carb setup on that old red motor nice choice.....

Well I been busy. Umm what have I done... Made the bottom of the firewall and have just tacked them in place, I made some rear inner wheel arches, welded up a couple of holes in the firewall. Here's one of the patches

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 46
Today was supposed to go smooth and awesome. Started off well, until the worst possible thing happened. I think my big MIG blew up. Grr. So drag out the old gasless, then promptly ran out of wire. Turned everything off, pushed car into garage and shut door in disgust. Currently fuming

Nothing more irritating than equipment failure. Costly too, in your case. Glad to see you're staying on the project.

I got a lot to prove with this car. So I ain't giving up on it. No sir-eee.

Edit: wifey just got home and I broke news to her about the welder. Reaction was not really what I thought it would be. " oh well you'll just have to get it fixed after Christmas. At least I still got ol faithful gasless to fall back on

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back