47 Plymouth sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a sweet ride. Nice job.
I really liked it with out the trim. (Just my worthless opinion and no offense intended)
A really kool build.

Thanks! It sure is motivating to see the end in sight.
I've been working on doors the last few weeks; got my window fuzzies and channel put in, power window mechanisms put it and all the associated wiring tidied up, speaker wires ran, dome and courtesy lights wired; plus several other door related misc items finished. We just got some upholstery samples in the mail so we'll be ordering a headliner and stuff to make seat covers and door panels soon. I've got a four day weekend so hopefully lots will get accomplished over the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 11
More wiring done; console and sound system wires lined out along with other misc wiring. Built some rear speaker mounts that go where the rear window regulators used to be. I put in new tack strip for the windlace and new grommets for the headliner bows. Also got the front seats stripped to get recovered; should have my rear seat springs back from the sandblaster/powdercoat guy this week. I took a box of plastic body plugs and went around plugging several factory holes in the floorpan. Also bought two sheets of masonite and started working on door panels. One more day off tomorrow, we'll see how far we get.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 16
Got all my door panels cut out of masonite, trial fit, and trimmed today. Still some holes to cut for front speakers but they should work pretty good. My wife and I are going shopping for seat foam, then I'm hitting the recliner for the rest of the day.

Attachments

• IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 16
I'm curious if you plan to install shoulder belts, and if so, how do you plan to attach at the pillar? Also, if only lap belts, will they be fastened to the floor, or to the seat frames?

I'm curious if you plan to install shoulder belts, and if so, how do you plan to attach at the pillar? Also, if only lap belts, will they be fastened to the floor, or to the seat frames?

Probably lap belts bolted to the floor. That's what I had in my 49 Plymouth.

My carpet and windlace came in, just waiting on the headliner and vinyl before we start putting the interior together. I finished my seat risers and got them painted along with putting some off brand dynamat on the roof. Still need to insulate the floor and firewall.

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 14
Several things done this week; I finished insulating the floor. the guy that was sandblasting my seat springs once again put me off a couple more weeks. I finally said the heck with it, picked them up and just sprayed them with POR-15 after wire brushing off the rusty spots. I was looking at my air cleaner and was worried that even with the dual snorkels, it wouldn't get great airflow. So I saw this idea on a factory Ford high flow air cleaner. Should be much better now. All my upholstery stuff is here except for the headliner, which is another week out. As soon as it gets here we'll start putting stuff together.

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 20
Finished up my air cleaner and the rest of my upholstery supplies came in so here goes nothing. I got the windlace on and just hung the headliner on the bows. It's been folded up in a box so from what I've read you should leave it like this for a few days and let it relax before you start attaching anything. I also have been having a major carburetor battle. I bought a factory rebuilt Street Demon 1900 carb to replace the old Holley 4160 I had on for a temporary. I fought this thing to no end trying to get it to run right, even called their tech line and had them send me some documentation on how to do all the initial set up adjustments but it kept flooding constantly and ran like crap. :mad:I finally said the heck with it and threw some rebuild parts in the the old Holley and threw it back on. Starts as soon as you hit the key and runs like a champ. Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, Bob. It's a good lesson I've learned several times on this build; don't buy parts long before you need them and have the warranty expire before you ever get a chance to try them out. One of these days I'll have to pull it apart and see what's up with it but for now I'll just stick with the Holley.

Got the headliner and carpet in over the last week; will be starting on door panels shortly. Headliner came out OK; this is the second one I've done and it's looks better than the first but still a few wrinkled areas I had a hard time working out. For the price, I can live with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 29
Bumpers on! I'm off work all this week and am planning an all out blitz to get as much as I can wrapped up and start road testing.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 16
Great looking car, I'll bet your looking forward to the test drive[cl

I am so looking forward to driving this thing; never spent near this much time on one project and I'm ready to see it done. My wife is, too!
Didn't get as far as I hoped this week but it's getting close. I was having a lot of trouble getting the foam carved into the shape I wanted for the front seats so I put those aside for now and bought these buckets off of Ebay. May finish the others up later and keep these for something else. I was getting frustrated and decided to just let someone else do them but the local upholstery shops said they were 2-3 months out because everyone wants their cars done at the beginning of spring. The back is coming much better; hopefully I'll have it done this week or next. Back door panels and kick panels are done along with a mile long miscellaneous list. I spent five days doing 10-12 hour days on it and have to be at work Monday so I'm taking a couple days breather.

Attachments

• IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg