My '41 Ford PU build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Tripper. Is that framework going to stay and be part of the new floor? In the pictures, it looks like it's at about the right height for your 4" channel. I see that you squared the braces. That's a good idea even if that bracing is to be removed later. That way you can check during the channeling process to make sure that the body didn't get out of shape.

Just a weldin' cuttin' & a grindin'!

Nice Tripper. Is that framework going to stay and be part of the new floor? In the pictures, it looks like it's at about the right height for your 4" channel. I see that you squared the braces. That's a good idea even if that bracing is to be removed later. That way you can check during the channeling process to make sure that the body didn't get out of shape.

Gastrick,
That framework is not stayin', it's spaced @ 9" so I can have a little access when I get the cuttin' wheel out! It's really hot & very humid here rat now so I had to knock off early. The work I did yesterday on the Mrs gate helped me dial in my new mig in & I'm lookin' forward to puttin' the new framework & flooring in shortly. Also thinkin' about suicide doors after top chop!

BoB

out to lunch

Once again I have been AWOL ,this is first time i have looked at your build.Everything is looking good.Not a criticism here but its gonna be hard to make that beauty look like a rat.Maby it will be a rat style street rod.LFE

Ratty... oh yeah!

Once again I have been AWOL ,this is first time i have looked at your build.Everything is looking good.Not a criticism here but its gonna be hard to make that beauty look like a rat.Maby it will be a rat style street rod.LFE

LFE,
Here's the look I'm goin' for & it'll hide the IFS. U can't really see the suspension of these cars & trucks because of the fenders anyway. This foto is a '38 but u can imagine it as a '40-'41 front end.

I love this foto because it kinda looks like the guy with the red shirt is peein' on that red car!!! ; - >

BoB

Attachments

• greenhornet.jpeg
    greenhornet.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Half way!

Well I got the floor about 1/2 way cut out. I love Sawall's!!! My better 1/2 said I had better get to work so I had to do that all day but... when I got home I cut this part out until all my neighbors were out walking their dogs. I'll wait till they are @ work 2morrow & get back to destroyin' stuff. Wish I had a plasma cutter... that would b sweet!!! After I rough cut it out I'll use a cuttin' wheel to make it look nice!

BoB

Attachments

• half.jpg
    half.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 206
No kiddin'!!!

Chop Chop kinda has new meaning now don't it...:D

Flatster,
I have had to get back to work here lately but have promised myself to at least do *something* on it every day or I'll never finish. I want to drive this truck as soon as possible! And I have decided to suicide my doors!

BoB <----- Chop Chopster

A little progress each day is better than no progress. It looks like you got a nice portion of the floor removed. It will be out and trimmed before you know it, then you can drop that body down over the frame. That's what I'm waitin for.

Whole can of Floor B Gone!!!

OK, I had to pull out a whole can of "Floor Be Gone" & now the dirty deed is done!!! Floors r out... on to cleanin' that up... cutting the back of the cab to clear the frame & then...new body mounts. I'm gearin' up in me mind for da toppin' choppin!!! ; - >

BoB

Attachments

• floorout.jpg
    floorout.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 322
  • reartochannel.jpg
    reartochannel.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 209
Good deal Tripper. Almost ready to drop the body down over the frame. Are you just gonna cut a notch out of the back or are you going to save the body reveal and put it back on the bottom edge of the cab and blend it in?

Good deal Tripper. Almost ready to drop the body down over the frame. Are you just gonna cut a notch out of the back or are you going to save the body reveal and put it back on the bottom edge of the cab and blend it in?

Gastrick,
Not gonna notch, I'll cut the reveal & raise it 4" for a smoother look, my notchin' skills r probably suspect! Just thinkin' about body mounts now. Gonna redo the current front ones & fab some 4 da back.

BoB

Ok... I'm gonna let the cat outta da bag!!!

Ok guys... I've been thinking about how to make my PU a little different & with a little help & encouragement from Gastrick I have decided to build a different kinda bed for my ride. You may or may nor have seen the post I recently made of a build I had been sorta keepin' under wraps... my '63 Merc S-55 ragtop. I also have a parts car for it & am gonna end up with some stuff left over that I was wondering what to do with. Well here's the story... I've seen several builds where they used a car rear end so that's my plan. The Merc is a huge boat & 2 feet wider than my PU so I PhotoChopped my Merc to show you what it will sorta look like. In the PhotoChop I also moved the trunk over 1 tail light to make the proportions look better. I'll be startin' on the top chop & finish the channel shortly & then on to this bed! I have all the trim & tail lights etc to make this look right... here's the basic Photochop, it's a little rough but I think u'll get the idea...

mercorig.jpg

Original
mercchop.jpg

Chopped

BoB

I like the idea of doing something different. There are alot of trucks showing up out there and as cool as they are they usually follow the basic plan. I sure would like to see the photo shop side view of this plan. But you know what we all say, if YOU like it then do it. It is your truck.

Latest posts

Back