IronRat's Super 88

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

It arrived this week, I've had this stupid :D on my face since it came off the transport.

1959 Oldsmobile Super 88, 394 cu in. of vintage De-troit muscle rated @ 315 horsepower and 435 foot-pounds of torque. This one if factory original. Repainted somewhere in it's life. Naturally dropped about 3". ;)

Last edited:
WOW!! That is sharp, I hope to see it at some of the shows around Chicago. Let us know if you are going to a show.

I've got few minor things on the punch list. My goal will be to at Park on Park(st) Mundelein, Illinois for the Sept. Show. If I'm on the road prior I'll PM you.

Might look sweeter with BellFlower pipes. What do you think? '60s So Cal look? Maybe spider hubs & chrome rings? Double cat whisker curb feelers?

:cool:

I dig it a lot.:D [cl :cool:
Yes indeed to the Bellflower Pipes. I would go with some sort of chrome rims if possible. Just nothing modern.
Enjoy it.:D :D
Torchie

I dig it a lot.:D [cl :cool:
Yes indeed to the Bellflower Pipes. I would go with some sort of chrome rims if possible.
Enjoy it.:D :D
Torchie

No question period correct. Er…maybe WW radials :)

I thought about chrome rims & baby moons. But, I think having some of that matching blue paint on the wheels ties it together.

What ever I do will be reversible, as to not molest the stock condition of this one.

No one runs Bell Flower Pipes in my area.

The other thought, these are knock outs for the Optional Back-up lights

I could run pencil tips though the bumper like a 1958 Corvette, that could be a PIB to get centered. [S

I would go with the Bellflowers.
It worked for Larry Watson.....:D
Photo courtesy of Custom Car Chronicle.
Torchie

Attachments

• CCC-larry-watson-cadillacs-17.jpg
    CCC-larry-watson-cadillacs-17.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 60
I would go with the Bellflowers.
It worked for Larry Watson.....:D
Photo courtesy of Custom Car Chronicle.
Torchie

The more I look at car, the more I think Bellflowers are the way to go. :cool:

Now, the hard part, finding the driver's side, dual exhaust manifold.

26 - For now just getting it reliable. Rebuild the carb. Found one freeze plug weeping and a Block Heater I didn't know about. I've pulled all the freeze plugs and the heater(deleted) replaced them. While engine was out new pan gasket.

The trans was sent to Jasper to be rebuilt. That and some engine compartment cleaning.

I'm on a search right now for Exhaust manifolds from '59 that had dual exhaust. Then I'lll run the dual exhaust.

Might look sweeter with BellFlower pipes. What do you think? '60s So Cal look? Maybe spider hubs & chrome rings? Double cat whisker curb feelers?

:cool:

I-Rat sorry for taking so long i just saw your response. Pipes would be cool. Olds flippers would be perfect but if your interested and it has the 14"wheels i could support the restoration with these for cost of a ticket. [S I really like that car. Let me know

Attachments

• 20150906_110450.jpg
    20150906_110450.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 29
UPDATE 10/10/2015

Little over as month now, I believe I have the "plumbing" issues are resolved. The Trans went out to Jasper to have it rebuilt, carb was rebuilt, oil pan gasket replaced, all freeze plugs replaced.

I've rethought the wheel/hubcap look. I was thinking Spider hubs, which would have been period correct. The more I look look at the Racey lines of this car the more I think I need something more "ATOMIC" :)

I think I'm down to 3 styles

Which of the 3 do you think works best with the lines of the car?

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l300-1.jpg
    s-l300-1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 9
  • s-l225-1.jpg
    s-l225-1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Latest posts