Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the minimal use of S10 metal in the firewall Joe...just enough to get things done. Nice job with the AC also. [cl [P

thanks burger!

I needed more room to get the HVAC box to fit the firewall correctly, but I couldnt see where, so I cut a viewing window.

IMG_0629 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

looks like the distributor will still fit! whew!

IMG_0630 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0631 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0632 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I got the pedal/column bracket done too. just need to grind on it a bunch
IMG_0633 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

speaking of the distributor, I put a 2x2 piece of gorilla tape over the dizzy hole, so far it has blocked some serious JUNK from falling in, but as I was, persuading, the firewall my 44oz QT tea fell off the cowl and guess where it dumped? right on the gorilla tape. WHEW!

I feel like I have said it before but tomorrow I will take the front clip apart. hate to do it, because I like leaving it all together, easier to align, but this truck was in a small collision and I need to straighten the drivers fender. I wish it was the passenger fender, I have a spare GMC fender in old paint, the drivers fender I have someone primed.

What OI said, how many pieces in the pedal bracket?

it would have only been 7, but the column of the 03 s10 mounts entirely to the pedal bracket, there is no lower mount on the firewall. so it has to be braced for push/pull/up/down loads. so there is an extra firewall mount, a mount up to the factory dash brace, and a bunch of support triangulation.

on the last one I used the aluminum pedal/column piece and built an interface bracket that bolted to the firewall.

IMG_2873_zpsvrfemu4j.jpg

IMG_2865_zpsvboxorzk.jpg

IMG_2861_zps51fta6k0.jpg

it worked well, but blocked the side vent from opening, and running wires was a mother. putting the gauges in was done through the speaker opening, replacing the wiper motor was terrible. this duplicates the aluminum pedal box and interface bracket together and is a lot more open, I can do the gauges from the bottom.

front end time, you may remember it was bashed a bit.

IMG_0176 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I have two GMC fenders and a nice GMC hood, but I really like keeping the sheetmetal with the cab it came with because it matches. I need to get the stuff pounded out at least enough to fit it all up, then have someone with more skill than my two dumbsticks tap it nicer.

IMG_0644 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0646 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I have that spare grille I got at the swap meet earlier this year to fix this one.
IMG_0650 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I have two sledges I use for bodyworking this old sheetmetal, works fast and great. imagine my surprise when chucking the long one up in the vise provided a great way to hold the fender to boot!

IMG_0655 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0654 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

when I needed something with a thin edge to get some creases back where they belong, the axe I havent used except for teenage daughter boyfriend threatening (uncle buck reference, no teenage boys were threatened) provided a great surface.

IMG_0660 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

not too shabby, looks like a fender again!
IMG_0661 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got the pedal bracket in for a final test fit before grinding and painting. works perfect. the column is SO sturdy and I dont even have the bolts in anything except the booster! (that one extra bolt in the top is loose, needed it to get the booster in)

IMG_0663 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0664 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0665 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

found a mirror arm from my 65, should work great with that stainless mirror I didnt like on Hannah.

IMG_0667 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

speaking of hannah, she now is mostly weather tight and spends her days in the sun.

IMG_0638 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0639 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

more to come!

Nice job on the sheetmetal...And everything else.
I used to just have to "glare" at the daughters boyfriends.[ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

The sturdy pedal bracket rocks Joe. Is that 11 guage stock.
Nice fender rehab...and fire wall work. Wonder when my welds will look like that stack uh dimes you got there [S [;)[cl

Hey Joedoh

Just read thru some of this thread...I love it...my daily driver is the twin to what you used as a donor...gotta love S10's for sure....and yours is in better shape than mine is...

Thanks for posting

MikeC

thanks guys

skull my dad is who taught me about memory in materials, and the importance of "technical taps" :D

burger I use the lower case "e" method, strike, bridge, loop over, under, bridge, over, under, etc

OI I wish I had your skill with sheetmetal but sadly, I am too impatient

mike, glad you are following along, the 03 is the best year donor with the LU3 and the better fuel system.

I mocked up the fender, 8 3/4" was the perfect move, I have no kidding 3 inches behind the core support to the rad while maintaning stock room to the fan. maybe tomorrow I will get the rest of the clip mocked, I pounded out the air director and straightened the core support too.

IMG_0679 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0684 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0662 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

busy day. sold the 41!

I think my 41 has the perfect stance but it doesnt fit on trailers. it got hung up halfway on, seriously hung up like cant go forward or back, and whatarewegonnado?!! I just started the forklift, lifted the back and got it on.

IMG_0703 (1) by Joe Doh, on Flickr

waved goodbye, beeps and I ran to bowtie bits. I love having a shop like this local, I can see everything before I buy it and he has about everything you could want. plus the NOS stock that rotates in the showroom is crazy to look at, there are always full steel wheel sets and random seats. he has a brand new charcoal 94 blazer seat I would love to buy and make into an office chair! look at the wax coated bumpers, thats not beat up army green paint! its chevy geek heaven.

IMG_0704 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

bought a few things.

IMG_0707 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

wipers, door window felts and seals, inner outer cab corners, the parts to fix the rot in the kicks, front lenses, taillights new window rubbers etc etc etc and a partridge in a pear tree

what am I forgetting? oh yes!

did you wonder how ernie got the 41 off the trailer? well.

IMG_0680 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

he has THREE forklifts. I have been outclassed. :lol::lol::lol:

The 41 is pure class Joe. Well done. [cl [cl [cl

thanks burg!

OI bowtie bits might be my favorite place on the planet.

i moved all my gmc stuff (ys I know the tailgate says chevrolet, I will fix it) to the front including the truck bed trailer that will give the bed, fenders, aprons, stub running boards, and even the running board mounts to the project. I am leaning more towards using the whole unbent front clip, knowing what I learned doing paint matching on hannah. what actually got me thinking about it is a gal had a front clip and doors, blue, listed for sale local, and I still have a perfect (well as near as perfect for old parts) blue bed in the back 40 (ft), and all that would have needed changed is the tiny bit of green left on the cab. so then I thought, why am I being crazy about that little bit of green, I can make it red if I want, the hood, grille surround, bed and rear fenders are already red.

IMG_0753 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0752 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

pulled the windshield, if you havent done one and dont plan to reuse the gasket, the easiest way is to slide a box knife against the glass and cut the outer from the inner, takes seconds. cutting through the gasket perpendicularly is a lot more work than just cutting the outside portion off. a little rust through but an easy fix.

IMG_0754 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0755 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I mocked the fender up, its in the wrong spot and pointing down a little but I think using the unbent steel is the right plan. I straightened the core support and just need to brace it which I will do tomorrow.

IMG_0757 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

my neighbor the great guy found this on his shelf and there was only one guy he could think of that could use it! love that guy, what a great neighbor.

IMG_0758 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tomorrow I will make a cap for the core support and haul it in, remount the unbent fender and repaired inner fender, and start cutting things to fit. easy peasy!

yeah I have two more bed trailers in the back 40 (feet) still.

forget april, august is the cruelest month, its suspension and steering time. new uppers and lowers, new spindles, new springs and shocks, new steering u joints and shaft, sway bar endlinks. and bunch of other stuff.

[soapbox] normally I would take my leafs to the local spring shop and have them dearched, but on the last truck I paid for 4" and got 1 1/2", then I had to pay again for longer u bolts to put on 2" blocks. so I was already a little chafed. I took the leafs in and asked for 4" again, and brought one of the original u bolts that galled up coming off to see if it could be rethreaded. they said "no" flatly, and offered to sell me another. then he quoted me almost $100 more than I paid in march for the set on Hannah. I was a little taken aback, and told them I could order new springs for less, they said sorry, labor has gone up. well ok then, add new springs to the list, and forever. [/soapbox]

the control arms and the leaf springs showed up the next day, which was nice, so I decided to start with the back since the spindles arent here yet. there are two people I would like to punch at GM, one is the guy who puts in the seat torx bolts, and the other is the production engineer who decided that the leaf spring hanger bolts should be put in from inside out and never looked down the line to see the gas tank prevents the bolt from coming out.

IMG_0777 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

but its out, you say. well, first I tried unbolting the gas tank, but the strap bolt just spun. I tried lifting it a little with a jack but the creaking made me nervous. so I took the easy way.

IMG_0776 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and that cut one came in handy for punching out the hangers, which the new leafs did not come with.

IMG_0778 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I will pick up another bolt tomorrow, I spent the rest of the evening scrubbing scale out of the u bolts, which I didnt have to cut off for the first time in ever. the new pack has less springs so I need them to go deeper.

IMG_0782 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0783 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I told you not to worry about the chevy tailgate, I ordered this one on fleabay. got a decent deal on it too, shipping cost more than the gate. maybe I will sell the chevy or maybe keep it for the future.

s-l1600 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I decided on wheels and need caps. this is partly a larger discussion of truck color I mentioned, but I wanted to see the two caps I was considering in person.

IMG_0766 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0765 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I chose the red caps, because I am going with red on the artilleries. and I think I have decided to wire brush the whole body and lay down some matching slate blue. which means the interior will be blood red too. I am pretty pumped.

Latest posts

Back