1955 F600, heavy duty build.......with a bus.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should send International a thank you note for making it easy for you. So far, anyway. :D Things will start getting even more interesting now that you are coming up on the assembly phase. I'm looking forward to the next installment. I know you got this. [cl

Note to self: I better pick up the pace on my project, or jmlcolorado will be done before I am.

^^^^^^^ X's 2 ^^^^^^^^^
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

Didn’t get visually substantial progress done today, but it was solid progress none the less.
Got the firewall placed in its final location. Which drives where all the interior components go. Steering wheel, throttle, brake assembly.
Got the firewall welded in. Need to do some work to the passengers side floor still. I’ll get some seam sealer and seal it all up. I think I’ve decided to paint the firewall National School Bus Chrome, just to give a nod to the donor.
Had to raise the cab up about 5 1/2” above the original mounting location, which kind of sucks, but, it’s a big truck, so talkers isn’t all bad. This is a complete 180* from the rat rod where every single inch was noticeable.
Built the front cab mounts and got them installed. Hopefully over the week I can get the rear cab mounts in place.
Next weekend swam seal and paint, then mount the cab once and for all.
Goal is to get the interior back together and take it for a spin.

I’m very tempted to buy a 20k dump trailer hoist for the bed. Mainly for installation ease. Electric over hydraulic will be easier then trying to figure it how to drive the existing pump I think. I haven’t opened the transmission to see if it has the PTO gear or not. Even if it did, a pto for it probably isn’t cost effective. And I’d be using a boost for which I don’t know the capacity of.
A dump trailer pump and valve system would remedy that, though would loose some of the vintage appeal of the truck. But haven't I lost some of that already?
https://youtu.be/PRxaAYh75ko

You crack me up. "...didn't get much done..." Its looking great. I only wish I was so productive. [cl[cl

You crack me up. "...didn't get much done..." Its looking great. I only wish I was so productive. [cl[cl

I’m a very visual guy.
I like it when big visually impactful things move. Like the bed off.
If I would have JUST removed the bed in one whole day, I’d be happy.
But if I were to completely install a new wiring harness, wrapped and taped all the legs, crimped on all the terminals, mounted he fuse box and all corresponding fuses for each circuit and terminated the ends in their perspective locations, ties everything neatly up behind the dash, but only installed one switch in the dash, I’d be kicking myself in the butt for not getting anything done 🤣😂

But I just keep reminding myself, any progress is good progress.

I’m a very visual guy.
I like it when big visually impactful things move. Like the bed off.
If I would have JUST removed the bed in one whole day, I’d be happy.
But if I were to completely install a new wiring harness, wrapped and taped all the legs, crimped on all the terminals, mounted he fuse box and all corresponding fuses for each circuit and terminated the ends in their perspective locations, ties everything neatly up behind the dash, but only installed one switch in the dash, I’d be kicking myself in the butt for not getting anything done 🤣😂

But I just keep reminding myself, any progress is good progress.
Yea, I get it. I was young once, too.

You're killin' this. [cl[cl[cl

Fender idea--Get you another set of big Ford truck fenders and graft them on at the ridge above the opening to give you the width you need.

Cutting some ovals below the grill sounds good for extra cooling.

As to the cab sitting so high, it's a big truck now! Once you build a set of under the door steps, it won't look so awkward.

Fender idea--Get you another set of big Ford truck fenders and graft them on at the ridge above the opening to give you the width you need.

Cutting some ovals below the grill sounds good for extra cooling.

As to the cab sitting so high, it's a big truck now! Once you build a set of under the door steps, it won't look so awkward.

Yeah I’ve got another set of fenders. They aren’t ford, but international L110 fenders. I figured I can cut out a hole a few inches larger then the tires and weld in some 1/2” round bar to trim out the opening nicely.

I have the stock steps and stuffed one under last night to see how it would look. I’ll need to build a filler piece since I had to raise the cab up so high, but I think they’ll tie it all together very nicely.

Attachments

• 03D60FD3-F428-44B1-8BC1-99BA39F8839A.jpg
    03D60FD3-F428-44B1-8BC1-99BA39F8839A.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 28
Step looks good. A recessed step in the filler panel would look good, and give shorter legged people easier access.

Skip has a great idea! I might even make them shallow boxes so you could use them for storage, hand tools, rags, wheel scotches, etc. Put a locking door on for security. Could also build them as battery boxes with a door for access.

It’s a two fer day!
Part 19 working on the interior systems. Steering, brakes, electrical. And I get to fire it up! Sweeeeet!

https://youtu.be/voKv-RofN-A

Part 20 re-thinking rear cab mounts. I want to drive this thing already!
https://youtu.be/sTfOSwYMTYc

I did end up calling a company to build me a new modulator cable that’s 8” longer. I pulled the original one off and it was not smooth operating. Figured might as well just get a new one and be done with it.

After work tonight, I decided to wrap up the rear body mounts.
I only had grade 5 bolts for these mounts, so I need to change them
Out to grade 8. I’ll grab those tomorrow sometime.
After I got that done.......I just couldn’t help myself, and took it for a drive.
Boy does it feel weird!
I think it’s just because I drove the ford quite a bit before taking it apart. And now the same seat and cab are in a completely different location. And the ride is different.
https://youtu.be/MQPXi7t2scg

it looks like a pipe wrench! [cl[cl

needs to be a couple hundred feet shorter for me haha, but I get why you want it to be long, it would look like a stubby dump truck if it was too short.

it looks like a pipe wrench! [cl[cl

needs to be a couple hundred feet shorter for me haha, but I get why you want it to be long, it would look like a stubby dump truck if it was too short.

A pipe wrench HA!!! It’s funny because it’s true! 😂
Did a quick cut n paste today to get a general idea of what it might look like.
It’s alotta bed!

I actually like the original length better too with the 14’ bed.
But the truck is so long right now, I feel like I should make it as long as I can now, it can always be shortened. Can’t really be lengthened quite as easily.

Attachments

• D4A381D2-3954-47B5-AF2F-093C8E246ED1.jpg
    D4A381D2-3954-47B5-AF2F-093C8E246ED1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 17
It'll grow on ya'. I always thought 39 Ford PUs were ugly as homemade sin until I had mine for a while.

Oh trust me. The back half of the truck won’t stay like that 😁

Rough measurements shoe I can remove 1 section of the million piece driveshaft. I’ll be taking about 43” out. I should be able to accomplish this without having to take it all to a driveshaft shop. Just remove one section, then change the slip yolk to a different section to gain what I need.
The frame is about as log at the truck as a whole will be. But I’ll move the rear axle up 43”, and shorten the frame about 25”. The bed will overhang a bit.

Oh man! I gotta catch up here!

I decided to keep the bed it’s original length. I figured if I wanted to stretch the bed, I’d have to get new wood ($$$$), new c channel, new frame. Might as well just build a whole bed. Then the 14’ bed I have would completely go to waste. And I kinda liked the length it was originally. So that’s gonna stay.

Someone online did a photo shop for me that way.

Part 21 I worked on finishing up the rear cab mounts. And the I DROVE IT :D
https://youtu.be/MQPXi7t2scg

Part 22
Started crying a little bit more about cutting the instrument panel.
Then I build a mount for the front grill/radiator support, mounted the fenders. Also drove it again because........why not :D

Part 23 I actually mounted the gauges. Got the headlight switch installed, wired the drives headlight, parking and turn signal.
https://youtu.be/cusQLM1XWn0

Attachments

• 76422F28-A9C1-4BBF-93B8-0EF08B98E575.jpg
    76422F28-A9C1-4BBF-93B8-0EF08B98E575.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back