'nother new guy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzford

Loxahatchee, FL in the West Palm Beach area
Hi, my name is Fred Baum and I am from the West Palm Beach area of Florida. You will know me as zzford. I was refered to this site by a friend who thought I might like it. I am 60 year old mechanic that has had a love affair with things mechanical for as far back as I can remember. My first rod was a 36 Ford 5 window with a 348 Chevy. The rest of the drive train was stock. this was in 1966. Back then it was near impossible to find insurance for old cars. I ended up selling it and got involved with VW's. I worked for a VW dealer for about 8 years and various independant shops til 1992, then switched gears and went to work for a municipitality. I have been there since. I have built a large number of cars over the years. A long string of hot VW's. Then hot rods after that. I guess after having the hassles of insurance with the 36, I turned to VW's cause they were basicly a 30's car that was insurable anywhere. My heart never quit wanting a real hot rod, though. Finally in the early 80's I built a 27 track roadster with a Pinto motor with a cam and 2 side draft Webers. The car was neat, but didn't drive well. I tore it apart and built another track roadster with a V6 chevy. It worked real well. Next was a 35 Buick, series 40 2 door with a 350/350. Drove it for a couple of years then built a 47 Ford, Tudor,first with a 302, later with a 460. Drove it a couple of years, sold it. I went carless for a couple of years, then built a 33 Ford 3 window, highboy. That's what I have today. This will be the 10th year I have had the coupe. It is a 'glass car. I'd rather have steel but Henry didn't make near enough of those to go around. It is fairly traditional. It's black with red wire wheels. Power is by a ZZ4 Chevy with a 700r4 and a 9" with 3:50's and posi. I had originally built it with a Muncie 4 speed, but my bad knees forced the automatic conversion this past year. I drive it very frequently. Thanks for the space, Fred

Welcome!!!

ZZ,
Welcome to the forum gearhead! Lots of kool cars in u're past & we'd love to see fotos of u're current ride. Love to see some Vdub pictures too it u still have some around... lots of bug lovers here too... including me! Make u're self @ home & feel free 2 join rat in!!!

BoB

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. I'd love to see some pics of some of those great rides

Welcome to RRR zzford. Here's a pic of your car I believe that I snapped at the TRR. I wasn't parked too far away from you. I'm a little south of you in Fl. Henry didn't make enough steel coupes for me either. Mine's glass too.

Latest posts

Back