36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other horrible job that I wasn't looking forward to, was taking the lefthand wiper arm transmission out and fixing the shaft in it. I broke it near the end of the showing off season.
Well, it's apart and part of a plan to fix it is in place.
I spent part of the afternoon trying to start the tractor up so I could plow the yard and driveway. It was around thirty below and the batteries were weak. When I got it started the oil was so thick that nothing worked right for quite a while.

The other horrible job that I wasn't looking forward to, was taking the lefthand wiper arm transmission out and fixing the shaft in it. I broke it near the end of the showing off season.
I spent part of the afternoon trying to start the tractor up so I could plow the yard and driveway. It was around thirty below and the batteries were weak. When I got it started the oil was so thick that nothing worked right for quite a while.

At 30 Below my pacemaker battery would be weak and my coffee thick as well.:eek: [ddd
Stay warm. Mac.
Torchie

I don't know how you guys way up north do it. Once it gets below freezing I'm miserable.

Kenny, it's not that I like this frozen terribleness, but I do live with it. Today it was not quite -30C but there was a brisk breeze, making it feel like -40. I wear a turtle-neck under my coveralls and coat, and when I was coming back west on my daily walk, I pulled the turtle-neck up over my nose and partway up my eyes. I had my hat peak pulled down so I could only see a little slit, and still I turned around and walked backwards for a bit.
Luckily I have a heated shop, but I didn't work on a hotrod today. I finished up a safety, iron handrail for the new deck on the house.

My dyslexia is showing again, I told you I was working on my lefthand wiper, well it's my right one.

I'm in both of those groups, Kenny. I'm partially dyslectic, and I believe it helps me think outside the box. It makes me more ambidextrous and makes my reading and writing more adventurous. I have to proof read everything I write,--aggressively; or you guys would have an adventure reading my stuff.

I'm in both of those groups, Kenny. I'm partially dyslectic, and I believe it helps me think outside the box. It makes me more ambidextrous and makes my reading and writing more adventurous. I have to proof read everything I write,--aggressively; or you guys would have an adventure reading my stuff.

Ya I have to reread and check creative spelling and thank goodness for spell check. I wasn't diagnosed with this until I was 36 years old. I'm 55 now. I had a great uncle that was worse than me and had a hard time reading and if you weren't dyslexic you couldn't read what he was trying to get across.

It's good to know that I'm not alone, Kenny. [Boy, do I have trouble with the double e's in your name]. I'm not too bad, so I can laugh at myself most of the time.
I started painting my rebuilt hand-rail and ran out of gloss black paint. None to be found in the shop.
Anyhow, I made a new little shaft for my wiper transmission, because I'd broken the end off of it last fall. When I was fitting it back onto the little pitman arm, I was too enthusiastic and broke the arm, which wasn't real metal. I'm making a new arm out of pressed tin.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2345.jpg
    IMG_2345.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 12
Well, I finished making the little pitman arm and painted the arms. When I went to put the wiper transmission housing back into the hole in the cab, I found that the shop cat had been playing with the chrome parts that should be on the outside. The nut was nowhere to be found. I cursed her out soundly and that helped. I raised the truck up on the hoist again and looked around under there and found my nut. So I installed it quickly so the cat couldn't loose it again.
The exhaust pipes caught my eye; the tips out at the back weren't even anymore. I pried, jacked, and stretched with a come-along, the right-hand rear segment of exhaust pipe and got them pretty good.

Here are the little arms; draglink and pitman, that go inside the header of the truck to drive the wiper on that side, and also the broken pieces [first picture]. I greased them and put them back together [second picture]. I didn't put the wiper arm and blade back on yet because I want to invent a guard on it so the wiper blade will go past the other one, every time and not hit end to end once in a while.
Here's the tail pipes fairly equal [third picture].

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 14
Dozer, the list is not getting shorter, because life is getting more like a dance all of the time, one step forward, two sideways and one back. When I was timing the draglink arm of the wiper, I needed the wiper motor functioning sometimes. OK and with a little modification I got the adjustments done. As I was getting out of the cab I could smell gas. Ooahh, Maybe my sediment bowl is not tight enough. True, OK, an easy fix. As I was cleaning up my hands for suppertime, I looked back at the truck and saw shiny floor under it. Wrong. All of the time I had the key on fiddling with the wipers, the electric fuel pump was pumping gas out through a hole in the long line from the back of the truck to the front. That has to be looked at today.

Oh Doc., my shop is an archrib about that wide.
Anyhow, I found a good looking brass connection in my gas line had sprung a leak. No amount of loosening and tightening would fix it. I took it out and emoryed everything, checked for cracks and replaced it and it worked. Now the sediment bowl [that I really liked and was too cavalier about] leaks a wee bit. It should have a new gasket.

Latest posts

Back