Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Traditional Style Hot Rods

Traditional Style Hot Rods A general and broad section about "Traditional Style" rods!

Old 09-07-2016, 05:48 PM

Default Old school hotrod model A pickup

I am working on a 30 / 31 model A pickup and shooting for the old school look. I chopped the roof off a closed cab to make a roadster and I am in the process of extending the cab by 6" so I may actually be able to sit in it.
I am making the frame rails from 1 1/24 rectangular tubing and will use the front and rear crossmembers as well as the frame horns from an original frame. I want to stick with the buggy spring suspension, but will likely modify it some.
I am try to stick with 60s or earlier type technology as much as possible. I want it to look like something that has been sitting in a barn for 50 years. I hope to power it with a 52 Desoto 276 hemi.
I am looking for some pictures of details that I can copy or modify and for lots of advice. I am trying to build this on the cheap. I will probably have more in to building the motor than I will have in the rest of the car.
I am looking for a used dropped front axle. I put in a bid on a rolled s10 for the rear axle. I am scouring various scrap piles for steel to build it.
Some day I will try to post some pics of what I have going.
I'm looking forward to learning lots from you guys.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:08 PM
Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'

Default Sounds like a plan....

Yeah pics are kind of a requirement here....
Old 09-07-2016, 06:12 PM

Yeah, I am on some gun forums as well. Lots of us need to look at the pictures so we don't have to read so much.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:44 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Welcome to the best rod forum on the innertube from Flawda! Here's a link to my build and feel free to use anything you find that helps! Check out the build threads. Lot's of ideas and differnt ways of doing things around here.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30108
Old 09-07-2016, 08:38 PM

This is what I started with. I got 2 frames and sets of running gear and the cab in pieces that I hauled in the back of a Dakota pickup 20 years ago.

This is with the box which was made into a trailer many years ago. This is after I whacked off the roof.

A closer shot of the cab.

I cut the back off the cab. After stressing about how to match the body line on my extension panels, I found this to be easy and fun. Creased the edges and bent over a piece of exhaust pipe and a rod. I thought it turned out good. I will use panel adhesive to join them.
I need to get to work on the frame so I can figure out where to make cuts and such for channeling the cab.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Wow on the body lines. I could never get it right. Great job!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM

By the way, the frame in the picture was partially restored by Norm Hall who was a race car driver back in the 60's. I got a title for that frame with his signature and a newspaper article about him when I got the parts. Unfortunately I won't be able to use much of the stuff he worked on.
So far, I have about $300 into the project not counting tool stuff. I paid $100 for 2 sticks of 1.5x4" rectangle tubing for the frame, and $200 for the trailer/ box. The cab and frames were given to me. I am trying to keep the total build under $3000. Looking for used parts and swiping parts off the stuff in my boneyard and the scrap piles. I have been watching lots of youtube videos trying to get ideas too.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:33 PM

Do you want to sell the tops of the doors that you cut off?
Old 09-12-2016, 10:28 AM

I don't have any use for them.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:39 AM

I got the extension panels screwed on. I will use the screws to clamp the panels when I glue them on then remove the screws.
I found a set of heads for the 276 hemi at a swap meet. Now I need to get the rest of the motor.
I didn't win the bid on the s10, but I did find another rear end for cheap.
I will download the latest pictures soon and post them.