Skip's 39 Ford PU. How it happened

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 32 highboy radiator will do the trick. Some trimming is needed here and there, new mounting brackets, too, but it will fit in the assigned space without reworking any body panels.

ZZ strikes again! [cl

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_104323615_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20170729_104323615_HDR[1].jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 66
But This would leave them wondering.:confused:
I had several ideas that I was playing with. Eventually, I discovered that most of them had been done by someone somewhere. Then I end up wondering if I saw it first or thought of it first. Either way is fine, I don't mind sharing ideas, or borrowing them. :D

It fits. I had to trim a little bit off of the bottoms of the side panels on the front of the radiator to clear the taper of the grill. After that, it settled right in place. May need to do a bit more trimming for clearances, but that can wait until I know for sure.

Taking a sawsall to a brand new aluminum radiator is a scary endeavor. :eek:

Now I get to build the new mounting brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_125017393[1].jpg
    IMG_20170729_125017393[1].jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20170729_125043137[1].jpg
    IMG_20170729_125043137[1].jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 65
Getting close on the radiator. The second set of lower mount points are a much better fit. I figured out the upper support system. (see pics) Some trimming, bending, and adjusting is still needed on the pieces. Also still need to figure out stabilizers for the lower mount points. Will need to get the front end up in the air a bit for that.

It is in temporarily, and I am confident that will fit now. There are some close areas, mostly by the steering box, but it will work out. Likin' how its turning out.

I'll get back to the other parts of the build soon. :D This is the second major redo. Hope it is not a trend.

Attachments

• IMG_20170801_165113587_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20170801_165113587_HDR[1].jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 73
enger'nered

that is some fine looking red-neck mounts,--l like'em[;)

seriously though, that is a good idea on the linked all tread and how it is set up, looks like it'll work just fine--PS l am going to "borrow" that style set up when l do the yard art beast.

Later:cool:

that is some fine looking red-neck mounts,--l like'em[;)

seriously though, that is a good idea on the linked all tread and how it is set up, looks like it'll work just fine--PS l am going to "borrow" that style set up when l do the yard art beast.

Later:cool:
Thanks, skull. Necessity is the mother of invention. I was trying to sort out how to make more rods to stabilize the top of the radiator, when this popped into my little pea brain. Four rods coming from the firewall was just not exciting me much.

The all thread is from the first round. I used the all thread to position the top of the grille. The only reason the links are there is because the pieces of all thread I had available were too short. :D In all honesty, it was a temporary installation. I just don't have any bar stock handy in that size. Also, I didn't know how long they would end up. You are likely to see other similar creativity as this thread progresses. :D

Well, had company for the last couple days. Great visiting with my best buddy. All that got done on this beast was bragging about the it and showing off the progress. I did get the rest of the pieces fabricated for the radiator installation before he arrived. Clearance is tight by the steering gear, but it always was. Now I need to pull it all apart, make a couple parts pretty, fine tune some clearances, and put it all back together with locking nuts and all that. YEA!

Then I can install the electric fan, and this bump in the road will be done with.

The fan is a thin 14-inch pusher. There is plenty of room for it out front. The radiator and grille are pretty much the same size. So it seems that a shroud is not really needed. Am I out in left field on this assumption? Also, I can attach the fan to the radiator itself, or mount it a couple inches in front of the radiator and attach it to the sides of the grille. Does anyone see an advantage to doing one or the other?

I hope to finish this radiator stuff this week, before Thursday morning when I fly out to Vegas for 9 days to shoot pool. Still not sure if 9 days in Vegas in August is a reward or a punishment for being on a couple of the the top teams in the Portland area. :D I am sure the A/C works just fine at the Westgate.

The fan is a thin 14-inch pusher. There is plenty of room for it out front. The radiator and grille are pretty much the same size. So it seems that a shroud is not really needed. Am I out in left field on this assumption? Also, I can attach the fan to the radiator itself, or mount it a couple inches in front of the radiator and attach it to the sides of the grille. Does anyone see an advantage to doing one or the other?

Your fan will work best mounted "tight" and centered on the core. You want it to blow directly through the rad, not from a distance.

If you think of it like water through a hose, it makes sense... press the hose tight to the rad and nearly every drop pushes through... pull the hose back and more area gets wet, but much less passes through.

"Baffling" from the grille to the rad will increase airflow when the vehicle is in motion... like a funnel, baffling forces incoming air to pass through the radiator, not around, above or below it.

This is cooling 101. Take the time and you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck in Vegas! I used to play league pool, but never made it to the big show! :(

Latest posts

Back