Skip's 39 Ford PU. How it happened

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well gang, we have good news, and we have stupid news. Which amounts to good news with more work. :eek: After I got the grille out of the way, I found no leak where I expected it to be. So, I added a little water and looked some more. There in the lower left corner of the radiator, on the engine side, sits the culprit. A half inch pipe plug in the bottom tank (for what I have no idea) that never got tightened. It was just tight enough to feel tight by hand. Some thread sealant and a few turns and no more leak. [cl[cl Now, for my punishment I get to put the grille back in again. :D Coulda' been worse.

fun

de-assemble, remove offensive part, reassemble, find other problems, de-assamble fix, reassemble, repeat as necessary[;)[;)[;)

seems to be the story of our life when building stuff like we do:D

glad it was simple.

Later :cool:

Could be WAY worse.... Nice you found it an easy fix... look at it as you needed that extra practice R&R ing the grill... :D

Since the grille was out, and I had easy access, I made a nice formed overflow tube for the radiator. I have a great catch bottle if I can find it, but for now, it just goes down and out like the days of yore.

Then I got a call from my pool team captain reminding me that I was supposed to be at a meeting in an hour and a half. So, work stopped again. Totally productive day. I may try to start it tomorrow, before I put the grille back on. :D

Oh.... That kind of pool.
I thought perhaps skip was on a synchronised swim team..LOL
Waiting for the fire up....
Torchie
I had to give that up when they told me I didn't fit into the requisite Speedo. :eek::eek: I wish I hadn't thought of that. As for the good kind of pool, last season i improved my game enough to put me in the most undesirable level in APA. Level 4. Right in the middle of the pack. When I was rated lower, I was kickin' booty all time. Now I have to work harder for less winning. So I need to up my game on the tables as well as in the shop. I think all this is what keeps me young. :D

I'm posting a question about carb spacers in the appropriate section. Comments are welcomed.

We made engine noise this afternoon.

My buddy Larry is visiting, so we went out to stare at it for a bit. We found a couple small leaks. The plug in the radiator got another turn, and the on/off switch for the fan had a little tiny bit of a weep. So we hooked up the battery, and I cranked the engine. Didn't fire right up, so I went to get the starting fluid from the front garage. With Larry armed with the starting fluid, I turned the key again, and ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Messed with the idle a bit, and it settled down. Found that I also forgot to tighten the fitting on the transmission cooling lines. Easy fix.

I think its time to rent a trailer, and take a trip to the DMV.

After I put the grille back in again. :D

We made engine noise this afternoon.

My buddy Larry is visiting, so we went out to stare at it for a bit. We found a couple small leaks. The plug in the radiator got another turn, and the on/off switch for the fan had a little tiny bit of a weep. So we hooked up the battery, and I cranked the engine. Didn't fire right up, so I went to get the starting fluid from the front garage. With Larry armed with the starting fluid, I turned the key again, and ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Messed with the idle a bit, and it settled down. Found that I also forgot to tighten the fitting on the transmission cooling lines. Easy fix.

I think its time to rent a trailer, and take a trip to the DMV.

After I put the grille back in again. :D

[cl [cl :D :D :cool: :cool:
Way to go Skip!!!
[P [P [P
Torchie

You've passed a milestone Skip. It'll give you enough 'zip' to surge forward now. Congratulations.

P.S. In proofreading this note, I realized that I have to clear something up, Skip. Passing a milestone is not at all like passing a stone.

After another pause for frustration and lack of motivation, I have the truck all back together. Many thanks go to my best buddy, Larry, who is down from Washington for a few days. He kinda pushed me a little to do the few things that still needed doing. We spent a couple hours installing the Grille and hooking up all the wiring in front. It would have taken me all day to to it, but with two guys, and four hands, it went a lot faster. [cl Everything seems tight and ready to go. Of course there are still a few things that i want to do to it, but they won't stop it from getting registered and legal.

I am dreading taking it to the DMV, but that is the next step. It should be fine, but one never knows.

Once that is dealt with, I can see if I like driving it. ;)

But before I can do that, I have to schedule some work on my eyes. Doc says I have a leaking blood vessel in my right eye, and a loose retina in my left eye. Needles and lazers! YIKES! My friend that has had needles in her eyes says its not all that bad, but boy did it freak me out when the doc told me. So I did some research, and now I'm not so terrified. Its just part of gettin' old. And I have said for a long time that gettin' old beats the alternative hands down.

I have to admit that I am itching to start something new and exciting.

Great news on the start up, and good luck at the DMV. Good luck with the eye stuff especially - I've had a couple of friends and a relative who've gone through some of that stuff as well. Just like you it makes me shudder to think about the needles but of the four guys I know who've been through it, ALL of them have good eyesight now and are thankful they went through it. If it is somewhat the same, they all said the 10 days laying face down was by far the toughest thing to get past. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back