Updates on the 53 GMC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tw7256

It's been a while since I updated what I've have been doing. I dropped my camera and broke it so I have not been taking many pictures or updating my build threads. I found a really nice camera for 5 bucks at a garage sale so I'm back in business. I have been working on my 53 making a few upgrades lately. Last winter I painted the door art and this spring I converted it to true coil over shocks with tubular upper A-arms. I also added a steering quickener but it's not what you might think. Since I put the manual rack in a couple years ago and because it's only 2 turns lock to lock it was a bear to drive in town. Strictly a 2 armed deal. So I added a 1:15 steering quickner and put it in backwards. Now I can put a small steering wheel back on it.

You can see the steering de-quickner in this photo along with the new coil overs.

Here is my door art. I made a stencil after drawing this thing about 10 times. Then I hand painted the details. I also added a barn wood bed cover last fall.

Here are my Jimmys side by side. You might not ever guess which on was a 1 1/2 ton and which was a half ton at one time.

I have been driving the 53 quite a bit. I even drove it about 100 miles to a swap meet a while back. I have been refining it as I go and having a blast with it so far. The 59 4x4 is still a work in progess but then again ain't they all. Later!

Latest posts

Back