Four bar questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken47int

Long story short I've changed my front end out, and I'm going to make a 4 bar set up for it. My question is do the 4 bars need to run parallel? Most of the set ups ive seen are. Then I considered if I was to just make a set of hairpins it would just have one mounting point on the chassis instead of the two like a four bar. They seem very similar just a extra bar and a few extra adjustments. I'm pretty sure how I'm going to do it, but this question kinda has crossed my mind a couple times. Thanks

If the four bars are not parallel, as the axle moves up and down the castor angle will change, could make for some funky steering habits. Hairpins simplify things all right, and work just fine.

hairpins are a relative of the ladder bar and stock split arms, as they both turn the axle into a giant antiroll bar, and should only be used on an I-beam axle, never on a tube axle.

a proper 4 link and pan-hard rod will exhibit less bind and smoother handling.

Thanks for the input. Part of the reason I'm making a 4 bar set up is it seems like it would handle better. I'm using a old ford I beam and I had a set of bat wings that are set up for the rod ends a 4 bar set uses. I'm about done getting it together and the only thing I have left to figure out is how I'm going to mount the shocks. I've also considered using a friction shock set up on it. I like how they look and it might be a lil easier to fab up. I've been looking at the Ron pope kit I found off of this forum.

Latest posts

Back