A Hupmobile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couper, I've not needed any Cortione for a couple years now. Hopefully that continues. I did have shoulder surgery 3 years ago.

Today's goal was to put the back third of the frame rails on. First a tubular crossmember was added. Then it was squared up at 41" wide. That's wider than the front part of the frame. I want the body to sit on top of the frame at the edge. Not have the frame way under the body. The other shots show how the frame transitions to the extra width.

Attachments

• Back Half 001.jpg
    Back Half 001.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Back Half 002.jpg
    Back Half 002.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Back Half 003.jpg
    Back Half 003.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Back Half 004.jpg
    Back Half 004.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 35
Glad your shoulders aren't giving you trouble bob. I started taking the Anti-inflammatory drug the doc gave me and I have less pain today.

The frame widening job looks good.....keep up the good work!

Mated to the Frame

The '42 Chevy pickup i have came with 1/4 elliptics in the front. It rides surprisingly well.

I had to give up the Chevy 490 front suspension as it set up too wide. I have used 1/4 elliptics on two roadsters. Both worked well.

Been picking away at it and at the Renault in non-picture worthy ways.

But today I trimmed the rear quarters and wheel wells to get that area to sit right on the frame kick up. Not channeled. This build will use old car parts wherever possible. Not going to over spend to be "period correct" though.

Attachments

• Kick up Cut out 001.jpg
    Kick up Cut out 001.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Kick up Cut out 002.jpg
    Kick up Cut out 002.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Kick up Cut out 003.jpg
    Kick up Cut out 003.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Kick up Cut out 004.jpg
    Kick up Cut out 004.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Kick up Cut out 005.jpg
    Kick up Cut out 005.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The next step was firming up the rear quarters and making a mounting surface to the frame. In other words, making rear sub rails. I has some 2" by 2" 16 gauge formed angle that I salvaged from the trailer I cut up last summer. The pics show the result.

Attachments

• Rear Sub Frame 001.jpg
    Rear Sub Frame 001.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Rear Sub Frame 002.jpg
    Rear Sub Frame 002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Rear Sub Frame 003.jpg
    Rear Sub Frame 003.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 14
Nice work Bob.....it's gona be a cool ride. What's that yellow buggy peeking out from behind the Hupper?

I missed your post in the cortizone and shoulder surgery......di you have a replacement or clean out?

The yellow buggy is a Crosley. Raced it with a 406 small block. Now fitting it with a stroker Jeep 6 cylinder. I want to go slower.

Regarding the shoulder, the Doc just tied some stuff back together. Painful recovery though.

Attachments

• bobw[1].jpg
    bobw[1].jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 17
Back to the front after working on the back. Huh?

The front axle flip is complete. It sits on top of the springs which are now down to 5 leaves. Got all the needed bushings for the shackles. Using the early Chevy style shackles. The last pic shows the shackle relocation project. These Chevy springs area a bit longer that the original Dodge units. Got 6 degrees of caster, which is fine for me. Now to weld the 1/2" thick spring places to the axle. When all the weight is on board there might be a clearance issue. I'll notch the frame if necessary.

Note: The computer gremlins won't let me post pics right now.

Last edited:
Trying the pics that go with the previous post, again.

I post pics several times a week and have changed nothing.

Failed again. The message states a "security token" is missing. Have not got a clue what that means. Help!

Pics for the previous post. Still not accepting my pics. Same security token missing notification.
I just switched from Internet Explorer to Google with the same result. Help???

Last edited:
Here we go again. I took some new pics. It accepted 2 of the 3 pics and stated "Upload error". I'm so confused...Just not (Wed. noon) I posted the 3rd pic with no problem.

Attachments

• test 003.jpg
    test 003.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 24
  • test 002.jpg
    test 002.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 23
  • test 001.jpg
    test 001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Latest posts