Chevy serial numbers...?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRat

So the serial number on my 41 Chevy pick up is a lot shorter that's the others I've seen....could this be truck #7 to roll off the Canadian assembly line ?

Looks like model 1314, body serial 8, then 0007 ?

[S

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Serial # 1-131480007

8 is the plant code for Regina. Regina serial numbers for '41 trucks begin at 1-13XX80001 which makes your truck the seventh 13 series built in the Regina factory.

Your body serial # probably speaks to the cab. War-time numbers are not definitive... meaning, civilian and military trucks are lumped together as 13 series trucks without further clarification. That said, you can safely assume the body # depicts the eighth truck body assigned and assembled in the Regina plant.

At any rate, your truck is indeed a rare piece. VERY FEW civilian-type vehicles were produced in Regina for '41. GM ceased production in July(?) 1941 and turned the plant over to war efforts.

Last edited:
I was thinking that the automakers didn't start war production until Feb 1942? There was about six months of normal production with Pearl Harbor happening in Dec 1941, in the latter part of that six months. The 1942 models were already on the market in Dec 1941. When production started back in 1945, all vehicles were warmed over 1942 models.

http://teachinghistory.org/history-content/ask-a-historian/24088

Bama: Canada declared war on Germany Sept 10 1939. In April of 1940, federal government created the Department of Munitions and Supply, as well as the Wartime Industries Control Board.

General Motors of Canada built 1940 model cars and trucks 'til October of that year. In November, production concentrated on military models and in July of 1941, Regina became a munitions plant.

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/content-17/world-war-ii/canadian-war-industry/

Wow...thanks for the info Dr. Crank ! I've spent a little time searching the web for some info but seemed to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

The truck did get pulled out of a farmers field somewhere in southern Saskatchewan, I bought it from a guy who had hauled it to Calgary and left it in storage for years....neither of us really looked too closely at the VIN tag - I was just happy it had one !! :)

Wow...thanks for the info Dr. Crank ! I've spent a little time searching the web for some info but seemed to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

The truck did get pulled out of a farmers field somewhere in southern Saskatchewan, I bought it from a guy who had hauled it to Calgary and left it in storage for years....neither of us really looked too closely at the VIN tag - I was just happy it had one !! :)

I was curious what happened to your build. How's it going?

Build is going strong again !

Haven't had much time the last year or so but I decided this spring to get on the last 10% and get it finished. The toughest part of any project always seems to be the last few ugly details....:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 16
Bama: Canada declared war on Germany Sept 10 1939. In April of 1940, federal government created the Department of Munitions and Supply, as well as the Wartime Industries Control Board.

General Motors of Canada built 1940 model cars and trucks 'til October of that year. In November, production concentrated on military models and in July of 1941, Regina became a munitions plant.

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/content-17/world-war-ii/canadian-war-industry/

I didn't know that Dr C. For once, Canada was ahead of the US! :D[ddd

Latest posts

Back