wiring battery behind cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

I tried to find articles or discussions on this and I might not have been using the right search criteria, but I couldn't find much on the logistics of wiring a battery behind the cab.... we built a battery box that is mounted to the frame behind the cab. I know that we will obviously need a power wire (we will use 1/0) from battery to starter...

My question is: is there a benefit to running a ground wire all the way from the battery to the engine (which would be around 10'), or could we just run a short 1/0 ground to the frame by the battery box and then another short 1/0 ground from engine to frame in front?

I am looking for suggestions for a battery cut-off as well.

Last edited:
ground to frame , an other engine to frame , and one body to frame

Thank you, that was what I thought. Although I didn't know to ground the body. Will add two more cable ends to my list at the battery website.

Yep, that's the way semi's are wired. Big cable to starter, big cable to frame for ground, big cable from engine for ground, and usually two or more smaller cables from cab to frame.

I like to put a starter relay beside the battery. This way, the big cable is only hot when the starter is engaged. Run a smaller wire to the dash. Also, a ground wire to the engine or transmission works better than a short one to the frame.

Wire it just like you would a battery under the hood but just use longer cables. This is the type of keyed cutoff switch I use but never knew Wallywood sold them. I usually put mine on the floor behind the drivers seat and turn the elec off everytime I leave the car.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Discon-Switch-Key-51-916EP/181585500?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1850&adid=22222222227054771730&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=155650679932&wl4=pla-265316601350&wl5=9028367&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113728273&wl11=online&wl12=181585500&wl13=&veh=sem

Beercan

Latest posts

Back