Front end identifying.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Z

I got some free stuff today , I don't know what this front end is out of. So I just need some help identifying it. Thanks.

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 77
Sometimes, free ain't good. :D Not sure whose axle that is, but it could end up that parts to make it useable are tough to find or non existent. Maybe you could modify it to use other spindles, but that is way beyond my pay grade.

The headlights look ok though. Is there a name or tag on them anywhere ? Kinda looks like they have a conversion ring on them to go from a bulb type to a sealed beam....that was commonly done.

Don

The axle looks 20 something or early 30's, maybe something of a mid to upper class car, not your average Ford or Chev stuff - the brakes and gizmos look more elaborate.
This a is a job for DR Crankenstein, the super sleuth....[S

I'm thinking that is some kind of truck axle, it had parallel leaf springs, and the brake shoes look heavy duty, as do the rivets in the backing plate. Did you get any hubs and brake drums with it?

I'm thinking that is some kind of truck axle, it had parallel leaf springs, and the brake shoes look heavy duty, as do the rivets in the backing plate. Did you get any hubs and brake drums with it?

No hubs or drums,it was just in a pile with some other old parts.

The axle looks 20 something or early 30's, maybe something of a mid to upper class car, not your average Ford or Chev stuff - the brakes and gizmos look more elaborate.
This a is a job for DR Crankenstein, the super sleuth....[S

Thanks zz, but I'm lost on this one!

I have to agree with you and Bama... likely a LARGE luxury car or truck... are those mechanical brakes? Elephino! #snopro ;)

I guess, because you posted this looking for info, that you had considered using it for some project. I would not. First of all, it is set up for parallel springs, not a traverse spring, and you would have to engineer some mounts to put a single spring on there. Secondly, you will never find parts for it, like kingpins, and what would you do for brakes ?

It really isn't worth your time and money to fool around with IMO.

Don

I guess, because you posted this looking for info, that you had considered using it for some project. I would not. First of all, it is set up for parallel springs, not a traverse spring, and you would have to engineer some mounts to put a single spring on there. Secondly, you will never find parts for it, like kingpins, and what would you do for brakes ?

It really isn't worth your time and money to fool around with IMO.

Don
Agreed

Latest posts

Back