'69 Ford F100 Pickup. Got my wheels done, what next?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvin4jc

Well I decided on black and I got the hubcaps I wanted on her. I need a windshield and I think i'd like to lower it. What else would set this truck off?

20170209_141930.jpg

Very nice [cl

Here's one of mine lowered. Volare front and axle flip in the rear [;)
Your body is much nicer and it's a shorty [cl

Attachments

• PU 005.JPG
    PU 005.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 30
What is it for? Too much lowering takes the "truck" out of it. Limits it working ability. If its just a driver, slam it! If you want to haul much of anything, be careful.

Lookin' good!

All good comments so I have to respond to all of them. Haha. I promise I wasn't fishing for compliments but thank you for them anyway. I bought this truck for $1,000 and i've been very happy with it. It's my daily and I drive it almost every day.

It is a pretty sweet truck as is. The wheels look great.

Thanks, I appreciate that because I was looking at a lot of options and I think I made the right choice.

Just lower it and call it done IMO. maybe different color or chrome on the grille and bumpers. That is all. Nice truck

Well if the outside is about done then I can spend $$ elsewhere which is great! You have me considering the chrome thing... The black wheels and white bumper/grille isn't bugging me a lot but i'm thinking it might look better without the white. Hmmn...

Very nice [cl

Here's one of mine lowered. Volare front and axle flip in the rear [;)
Your body is much nicer and it's a shorty [cl

I must be a photography trickster because she is very much a longbed [ddd
Nice truck and holy rear tires batman! Did you C-notch the rear or did it fit without? What about shims for the rear end?

I agree with the others. looking good! :cool:
Personally I would not go crazy on the lowering... maybe 2" ?

I am thinking the same actually, If I can get away with cutting a little more spring in the front I can rotate the rear spring hanger about however I want and get away much cheaper than buying lowering beams for this twin I-beam truck.

What is it for? Too much lowering takes the "truck" out of it. Limits it working ability. If its just a driver, slam it! If you want to haul much of anything, be careful.

Lookin' good!

It is just a driver, and wow, half ton doesn't mean what it used to, the rear spring setup is flimsy compared to today. I can shake the heck out of this truck by pushing and pulling on the side of the bed. Looks like a dog wagging it's tail. Truck manufacturers are always one-upping each other and over fifty years of that the trucks today are much sturdier than this old girl. I considered hauling my motorcycle in the bed if need be but I would be worried i'd flip it in a turn :eek:

The grill and headlight trim on my 72 f series trucks were alluminum. you may be able to find one out of a bone yard. I might paint the bumpers black.

Ivin, no on the C cut, took the rubber stop out and had enough room. with a heavy load it just goes solid.
Shims on the front [S the volare is an adjustable torsion bar.

Avoid the cost of a bumper/grille swap and paint the wheels white. They look weird being mismatched, especially with the dark color on the truck. Add the chrome caps and there are just way too many colors going on IMO.

Don't cut the springs any more, especially if you have already. The camber will go beyond serviceable, affecting drivability and destroying tires. If you want to lower it in stock configuration then Dream Beams are a necessary cost. It may seem like a big bite to take, but there is the definite advantage of a bolt-on swap compared to the fab work and downtime of a subframe install. Also if you do go much lower than you are now then some smaller front tires are definitely going to be in order.

Also, if you are seriously concerned about hauling a motorcycle in that truck then you may have some issues going on. They are more than capable of hauling plenty of weight, experience assures that...

Ivin, no on the C cut, took the rubber stop out and had enough room. with a heavy load it just goes solid.
Shims on the front [S the volare is an adjustable torsion bar.

I said shims on the rear end. I'm talking about pinion angle after the lowering was done. ;)

Nice Ford!!![cl What's under the hood?

It's the uh, 240. Lol, I turned down some trucks with bigger engines because it is just a cruiser and I was hoping for nice mileage out of it. I have no issues with it as a cruiser, it has enough power for anything you NEED to do on the street but putting in 13 mpg is less than I hoped for. I would have preferred the 300. I had that in a 1982 Bonco and it got 15-16 mpg with more power than the 240 dreams about in it's sleep. Oh well, I keep tuning it and fixing things and the mileage is going up with each tank so far.

Latest posts

Back