Thoughts on this trike?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

First off, the trike is not mine, I take no credit for it, though I wish I could :D
There aren't many trikes I really care for, but this is one I do, despite how impractical it might be.

It got my gears turning though.
They used a flathead and an old 3 speed trans. It looks to me like the rear end might be mated directly to the output shaft of the trans. This really seems like an easy drivetrain! Maybe just an adapter to bolt the rear end and trans yolks together.
In one photo, it SEEMS like they have a buggy spring holding the rear end. Can that be?! I suppose the buggy spring would allow the rear end to rotate left and right, but without a driveshaft of some sort (and the longer the better) it seems there would be serious bind!
Maybe the buggy spring is just for looks. That's all I can think of.
Even if you had a 6" driveshaft, if the rear end went through ANY flex at all, the u-joints would bind up! And if your 420 lbs, you've officially moved the working angle of the u-joints way out of spec!

I think the best way to use this kind of setup would be to hard mount the rear end to the frame, and hard mount the trans and engine to the frame, and have a hard tail.

Interestingly enough, in a couple of the photos, it seems the spring has been removed, and the bike seems to be sitting lower. Maybe they ran into issues with the springs and decided to rid the bike of the rear suspension.
Regardless, its a beautiful piece of art, and I can truly appreciate the work that has gone into it!

photo-2179.jpg

photo-1514.png

photo-2024.png

photo-285.jpg

photo-713.jpg

photo-844.jpg

photo-1812.jpg

photo-1400.jpg

I make out a torque tube set up on that bike so basicly there is no flex between the motor and rear end. With the motor mount on the front it would be like a hinge in the middle of the bike, the spring would push up the back. Think of it as a pair of scissors with a spring between the blades if that makes sense.

But that is a good looking trike.

I make out a torque tube set up on that bike so basicly there is no flex between the motor and rear end. With the motor mount on the front it would be like a hinge in the middle of the bike, the spring would push up the back. Think of it as a pair of scissors with a spring between the blades if that makes sense.

But that is a good looking trike.

Ahhhh. I didn't think of that. I suppose if he used a banjo rear end, it would work just like that! Interesting.

It is a pretty sweet looking machine, but for some reason I think the tank looks a little out of place........

The mor I look at it, the more I think the same thing. But it's gotta hold enough fuel to enjoy, and it appears the tank I built around certain components on the top of the engine, so it's quite large.
But for what it is, it still fits pretty well.
I wonder how it handles?

I have always liked V8 bikes. That's the first V8 trike I've seen that catches my attention.

Boss Hoss bikes have got to be King of V8 bikes

Latest posts

Back