Expanding FOAM!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

Started in on putting the new cab corner and rocker panel on the 66 C10. Well as some of you know things don't go as planned. So as it says I found expanding foam in the door pillar rocker panel and cab corner. This stuff holds water! The bottom of the pillar was rotted out rocker rotted and cab corner rotted. The real bad part was that all of this was covered in bondo! So as the years went on all the water that was held inside rotted even more and more of the cab and supports.

So its new cab supports front and rear. New pillar lower, new floor patch panels ect ect ect...
So don't use this crap EVER. I would love to be able to go back in time and slap the all heck out of the hack that did this.:mad::mad:

52 fordman

I've used it myself and the one I had actually says it is NON absorbent to water.

I know it still like **** to a blanket, and I had it on my fingers for a week before it finally faded. I filled the door frames and other places on my 'glass rod, and it sure locked everything together solid.

They use it for fitting these plastic double glazed windows in houses nowadays, no screws, nails or anything, just wedge them in position, fill the gap all around the frame with foam, leave it to set, then trim it flush with a hacksaw blade.

Learned it the hard way, had a chop top on a 69 chevy truck that was
"oil canning" on me so I filled in between the two roof panels with foam, fixed the problem but years later ruined the roof.

My 66 gmc the bottoms of the rockers, cab supports, all rotted away.
power washed it
built the shape with duct tape
trimmed it to shape
ground it off
kitty hair and undercoat.
kept the water and winter slush out of the cab for many years it actually stopped the rusting.

patched the floors in my dad's 82 with metal and watched the floor rust completely out twice. you just can't
had an old mexican guy next door build a new rocker out of a 2x4 foamed it and glassed it and it lasted until the truck was history.

build it with metal or use patch panels? sure one can dream. $4 an hour makes alot of decisions for a kid.

if you live in the east your bolts rust from the inside out lol
acid rain
eastern US cars are the absolute worst for rust, they are like cars that were in an ocean flood.
those trucks all rusted out the supports rockers and cab corners coast to coast.
they rusted right up into the lower door hinge mount
the windshield rubber leaked. that and the foot slush ran down into the front supports at the floor pan pinchweld

I never painted my 66 i used the stuff to keep the water out and that it did. however I never used bondo. bondo holds water glass doesn't.

same deal with 67-72

You probably have rust near the hood hinges and the rear bed sills and I wouldn't be surprised to see some around the windshield rubber.
Water gets in at the gas tank filler and on the passenget side you get the curb slush that gets up in all the holes. they didn't have the wheel well liners like the newer trucks either. Everythign coming off the tires heads right for the cab supports and rockers

Fords didn't rust there because they didn't use a boxed rocker.

if it wasn't foamed you'd still have the rot but I'd bet it was a task to dig that foam out of there

in texas,ohio and nebraska
i could HEAR my cars and tools rust.
the only old vehicles in any shape at all were trailer queens in climate controlled storage.

lol good one billy

i have a brand new 390 I've never assembled that was oiled down and bagged under my workbench since about 2004
i looked the other day and the dang thing needs the crank cleaned up now and the block and heads cleaned up. rust everywhere and my garage is dry.
i'm afraid to open the box the new cam and pistons and rods are in

I bought my 63 skylark in Stockton Ca and the dang trunk has rusted out all along the pinchweld from the inside out
The backside of the roof/ b pillar skins look like iron oxide sandpaper

[cl oh my goodness
looks more like she was attacked- none on her hands and junk in her hair but a dang funny picture

attachment.php

Attachments

• foam mousse.jpg
    foam mousse.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 229
Years ago, I had a Freightliner FLD that the sleeper was separate from the cab, connected by a rubber gasket. Well, the gasket ripped on top, and it leaked when it rained. Money was tight, couldn't afford a new gasket, so I got a can of foam and sprayed the area between the cab and sleeper. It filled the gap real good, no more leaks. But, after a week or so, it turned loose, and with the cab and sleeper being bolted down in different places, each piece moved independently of the other, and it started to squeak like bucket of mice! I couldn't even hear the radio over the squeaking! I had to find a place to stop and dig that stuff out. Never tried that again! :D

That's funny bam
I can see a guy going postal over it

I just sprayed alittle spray foam in my roof pillar. I'm gonna glass over it. Theres a rust hole about 4 finger long, can't get behind it. I don't mind rust holes but this one will leak in the floor. I might try to fish it out the foam afterwards with a hanger, just needed a backer for the fiberglass. It was just a little bit.

I just sprayed a little spray foam in my roof pillar. I'm gonna glass over it. Theres a rust hole about 4 finger long, can't get behind it. I don't mind rust holes but this one will leak in the floor. I might try to fish it out the foam afterwards with a hanger, just needed a backer for the fiberglass. It was just a little bit.

You've never used this stuff before, have you? :D

There is no 'fishing it out', as this stuff sticks like $hit to a blanket, it is a hell of an adhesive, and if you get it on your fingers you have to wait for it to wear off, because there is no washing with soap that is going to move it.

Maybe lacquer thinner?

You've never used this stuff before, have you? :D

There is no 'fishing it out', as this stuff sticks like $hit to a blanket, it is a hell of an adhesive, and if you get it on your fingers you have to wait for it to wear off, because there is no washing with soap that is going to move it.

Maybe lacquer thinner?
A grinder works.
I wouldn't try that on fingers though...

Yep....brake clean....

drill a small hole above the foam after the repair is done and
spray a bunch of brake cleaner down on it and it will dissolve
the foam.

works as a spot remover to....just test the fabric before you drench it with the stuff...lol...but does dissolve the foam...tough on the skin though...:eek:

Never would of thought of brake cleaner. I have seen it make a Styrofoam cup dissappear. Thanks, i should be able to spray it from the inside.

Latest posts

Back