Choppin 41 Ford pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darksyde

Laying out my chop.
Noticed on the front a - pillars that most cut them on an angle rather than running a straight line around the cab.
Know there's gotta be a reason that I don't see.

Less weld, easier to get the cut lines perfectly parallel. Keep in mind, if you tape off at an angle, you still have to measure the distance parallel to your back. Make sense?

I chopped a 4door with A,B,C-pillars and a back quarter section - each one was at a different height and angle. Whatever was the best fit for each situation. I tried to cut where it would best match back up. Especially the A-pillar on the windshield side.

Agree with Sam.
Here are some pics of the layout of my chop on an F series truck cab.
I marked the A pillars for 4" and layed out the lines parallel to each other.
I also tried not to have all the cuts on the pillars and door line up but as Sam said I went with the area that was the most even in width one the cut was made.
You can make verticle relief cuts and spread apart or close up a pillar to get the pieces to match in width. This is typically what is done when chopping a Model A roof.
The other thing to consider is weather or not you are going to cut thru your rear window or around it and leave it full size or a combination of both.
The pic of the rear corner of my cab shows it layed out to leave the rear window stock but to drop it down with the chop.
Hope this helps and be sure to post plenty of pictures and ask what ever questions you need to.
Like Cat Stevens said......"The first cut is the deepest."
Torchie

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 34
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 34
  • attachment-2.jpg
    attachment-2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 38
there was a book I read on this once , that suggested horizontal parallel cut vs angled parallel cut ... the angle of the 'a' pillar can offset the depth of the chop...

as in the 4'' chop / cut as measured up the angled pillar. may only have a true vertical height of 3 3/4 inch,, therefore the front roof will be 1/4 inch higher than the back ....

id be interested to know if the book was correct or could've been better spent on a 6 pack....

crate

Yep what's been said above.
Most cut the A pillars 1/2" to 1" more than the back to give the roof a eye appealing rake.
I cut the roof on my 40 Pontiac 3" in the front and 2-1/2" in the back.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 80
I'm no expert, The angle cut I think helps to get the drop the same but to me it seems like it would make it harder to cut and to square the lines. On a straight cut you have to compensate for the difference of a vertical drop and the angle drop but the cutting and squaring the lines is easier.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back