Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's the reason I like rat rods. Bodywork, Yuk! It's got to be done. Should be through with it by the weekend.

I've turned the corner on this project. Painting a few small brackets, etc. then reassembly begins. since all my pics are gone, here's a pic of how it sits today.
The doors are out to be sign painted my one of the best local artists. The door art will be a tribute to Gabby Bleeker who ran a Bantam Fuel Altered in the 60's. I saw him several times.

Attachments

• Bantam waiting 002.jpg
    Bantam waiting 002.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 92
  • GAB.jpg
    GAB.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 92
I picked up the doors from the sign painter today. All hand painted. No vinyl stickers. The artwork is similar to Gabby Bleeker's fuel Altered Bantam coupe that was a big hitter in the Chicago area. If you back up a couple posts you can see a pic of Gabby's car

The speed boat in the upper right represents my friend Jim who used to race on the water and has generously donated many parts to this and other projects.

My brother Ken donated the 468 Big Block to the project. He lives in Kansas and has built several tree houses on his property. He makes them available at no cost for cancer survivor kids and their families to stay on the weekend.

Time to turn my attention to reassembling and getting the Bantam running. It's windy, snowing and cold, but can drag racing season be far away? Well yes, in this part of the country. Even so it always takes longer than expected to get 'em up and going. Not sure I'm capable, or willing to drive this thing all out.

Attachments

• Bantam Door Art 001.jpg
    Bantam Door Art 001.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Bantam Door Art 002.jpg
    Bantam Door Art 002.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 27
Nice tribute to your friend, your brother and the Bleeker car. [cl

Didn't you have a friend driving your Crosley? (Nothing like experience in a short wheelbase car.)

Work has shifted to the Bantam. Even though it is snowing outside (6" a day ago and another 6" tonight, so far) I've got to get it done in time for the Meltdown Drags in July. In the last couple days I installed the driveshaft, ran the trans cooling lines, bolted down the heads, put the headers on, ran some brake lines and installed the master cylinder. But most of the time was looking where I stashed all the parts. Of course some stuff doesn't fit like it is supposed to fit even though it was all together in the past. How does that happen?

Attachments

• Bantam Engine 001.jpg
    Bantam Engine 001.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 31
The Bantam was not selected to run at the Meltdown Drags in July. I quit working on it and was putting time in on the roadster. found out a couple days ago it is on the wait list for the drags. If there are cancellations then the Bantam is in. So, I've turned up the wick and have been reassembling the car. I've made 3 or 4 seat frames and none of them have worked out because the interior is so small. I finally have an idea that will work. No seat! Was remembering how old altered were built in the 50'. Chopped and deeply channeled. Basically just a seat pad on the floor and another on the rear bulkhead for a back rest. I'll try that next.

Here's some pics from this afternoon. It's looking pretty complete.

Attachments

• Bantam Mock Up 001.jpg
    Bantam Mock Up 001.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Bantam Mock Up 002.jpg
    Bantam Mock Up 002.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Bantam Mock Up 003.jpg
    Bantam Mock Up 003.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Bantam Mock Up 004.jpg
    Bantam Mock Up 004.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 88
Made some seat frames out of 3/16" by 1" flat stock. The 1/4" plywood inserts will back up the upholstery. The seat back will be raised somewhat. Been putting more stuff on the engine. I'll take it to the Meltdown Drags and put it in the show if I don't get asked to race it. Replaced the sheet metal floor with .063" aluminum.

Attachments

• seat frames and flor 001.jpg
    seat frames and flor 001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 60
  • seat frames and flor 002.jpg
    seat frames and flor 002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 56
  • seat frames and flor 003.jpg
    seat frames and flor 003.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 48
All of the above..[cl:D:cool:
I've seen more then one old East coast chopped and channeled 30's coupes with nothing more then a pad for a seat bottom and back.
Glad to see you back on it.[P [P
Torchie

Latest posts

Back