Trike; take 2

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first one I built was pretty car-like. I used to hear all the time "Why not just build a car?" :) I posted the build pics to show how simple it is to build a frame forward of the drivetrain and K-member in order to make a platform for the seats and body. That trike had two bucket seats side-by-side, a dash, a front panel that protected the occupants from rain, rocks, etc., and an enclosed passenger area, which could be enclosed by more elaborate bodywork, a windshield, etc. I was just showing one way of approaching the project, without making it any harder than it has to be.

What you built looks great and I thought about going that route. I still might but I like the idea of having a steering wheel rather than handlebars when I have to drive one handed to shift. I'm keeping the 5 speed manual transmission; just put a bunch of new parts and a new clutch in last year.

A friend of mine built a trike based on a Formula Ford race car... had a small steering wheel attached to a steering box that had a vertical pitman arm, ran fore and aft. He made an attachment point on the front end and attached the two with an adjustable rod with tie rod ends on each end. It worked very well.

Sounds cool; the more I think about it I might try and blend the two ideas. Have more of a traditional trike frame but with a steering setup like you described. With the five speed I was thinking it would be a nightmare to have handlebars with the throttle and have to shift with one hand, too.

gremlin trike

this is something i had to rebuild for my brother. he has a habit of buying crap and wanting me to make it work. this had a 3 speed stick with central seating and mechanical clutch pedal, which made it impossible to push in from the center of the bike. it also had handle bars about 6 feet long. the body was cut down in front of the rear window so i made a c cab out of it, just to give it form.
i know it isn't a rear engine trike but thought you could see something to think about to use on yours.

Attachments

• DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00107.JPG
    DSC00107.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00114.JPG
    DSC00114.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00111.JPG
    DSC00111.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 16
Sounds cool; the more I think about it I might try and blend the two ideas. Have more of a traditional trike frame but with a steering setup like you described. With the five speed I was thinking it would be a nightmare to have handlebars with the throttle and have to shift with one hand, too.

All of my trikes had a foot throttle. That makes it a lot easier to rest your right hand on long rides, take a drink, or wave at pretty girls :). Seriously, on a trike, a foot throttle is so much easier to deal with. On your setup, it would be like shifting a car... one hand on the wheel, one hand to shift gears... no drama. :)

After looking at a multitude of trike designs over the last week I think you're right and the best route to take is something more cycle oriented. So I'm going to back up and go more in that direction. Plus I've got a decent supply of 1 1/4' chrome moly tubing I can use and not have to buy. so, back to this point.

Attachments

• 68488d1506194814-trike-take-2-img_0595.jpg
    68488d1506194814-trike-take-2-img_0595.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 16
That structure looks plenty strong...tie a stout crossmember across the "front" to tie those two main frame sections together, maybe fabricate a brace between the strut towers, the go forward from there with a frame that suits your idea of what you want for seating, style, etc. What you're starting with doesn't have much excess nonsense to deal with building around, so bodywork can be both minimal and still cover as much of the drivetrain as you wish. There are as many ways to do this as there are builders... I'm just tossing out ideas that worked for me. :)

I think I'm going to use the cradle but build a tube cage on top of that rather than the factory unibody sheet metal. It's really thin where it supports the upper control arm and strut; don't think I'd trust it.

I've the cage tacked together; time for some finish welding plus adding some gussets to the strut and upper control arm mounts. Then I think I'll start getting the frame rails figured out.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 51
Ive always wanted to put one of these on a VW buggy baha frame . i bet it would work . just have to lock the steering box some how .

They are pretty cool motors. They make really good power and routinely go 300,000 miles with few issues. They are reverse rotation so you can't mate them to a VW transaxle as it would be turning in the wrong direction. But as long as you use the Honda trans you can put them in anything you want. All you need is a welder, sawzall, and an angle grinder and the sky is the limit.

They are pretty cool motors. They make really good power and routinely go 300,000 miles with few issues. They are reverse rotation so you can't mate them to a VW transaxle as it would be turning in the wrong direction. But as long as you use the Honda trans you can put them in anything you want. All you need is a welder, sawzall, and an angle grinder and the sky is the limit.
I love a can-do attitude. [cl

Latest posts

Back