Anyone build their own windshield frame?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee Freak

I've been looking at the windshield frame that came with my M38a1 tub and I just don't like it. It's rusted out at the driver's side clamp and it just looks boring. I'd like to use the windshield glass that came in it , chop it down about 4-6", and build a vertical frame to hold it in place of the slanted one. I think it would give it more of a look of a 20's roadster that way.

I figure I can weld some angle iron onto the side of the tub to act as windshield stantions, but attaching the windshield to the stantions is what has me a bit baffled. I'll be happy with a fixed vertical windshield, but if I can have it vent, that would be all the cooler. To add to the complexity, I do have a pair of 12 volt top mount wiper motors that I'd like to incorporate into it as well in the event I can get this street-legal.

Obviously, the easiest thing would be to just get another m38a1 frame that's in better shape, but what's the fun in that?!?!?!

If it was my build I would get a replacement frame. The windshield is one of the things I like about those old "Jeeps". I would think that as popular as they are today a good replacement would be easy to find in repop. Post some picks of what you currently have.

I made windshield frames for my 26 truck and a friends 27 roadster using 1/2 box tubing. made up a jig using 2x4s screwed down on a table to make a channel to hold the tubing in position and another secured as a guide for my circular saw with metal cutting blade a bit off center on the tubing. I made one cut end to end then turned the tubing 180deg and made another pass to get the right width to fit the glass. cut some 45's to get the right shape and size I welded 2 sides and the top square, the cut some tabs in the bottom channel to slide into the two sides which I secured with screws after sliding in the glass. the roadster is mounted solid but my truck window opens. welded some small steel hinges to the top of the frame and the cab. used a set of those generic curved toy box lid brackets tacked to the frame, a small bolt welded to each side of the opening, a pair plastic wingnut/replacement knobs from the hardware store and I have a tilt windshield for less than $25 and an hour or two work

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 81
it went from like a small sauna to comfortably cool at speed.. window will open about 40deg or so and feels like riding in the open wind at speed. too much wind at full tilt actually.. wish I had done this years ago.

I made windshield frames for my 26 truck and a friends 27 roadster using 1/2 box tubing. made up a jig using 2x4s screwed down on a table to make a channel to hold the tubing in position and another secured as a guide for my circular saw with metal cutting blade a bit off center on the tubing. I made one cut end to end then turned the tubing 180deg and made another pass to get the right width to fit the glass. cut some 45's to get the right shape and size I welded 2 sides and the top square, the cut some tabs in the bottom channel to slide into the two sides which I secured with screws after sliding in the glass. the roadster is mounted solid but my truck window opens. welded some small steel hinges to the top of the frame and the cab. used a set of those generic curved toy box lid brackets tacked to the frame, a small bolt welded to each side of the opening, a pair plastic wingnut/replacement knobs from the hardware store and I have a tilt windshield for less than $25 and an hour or two work

I'd love to get some more closeup pics of it to give me some ideas. Mine has been on the back burner for a while. A little inspiration might help move things along.

reviving an old post but wanted to show my new windshield I built recently for my tudor. took about 10ft of 1 1/2" flat bar for the frame and 10ft of 1/2 flat bar for the window channel. only took a couple hours to make and mount the frame.. total cost of the frame was $30-40 for steel, hinges and homemade tilt hardware and $60 for the glass cut and installed. I marked the lower curve I needed on the concrete to use as a guide while I bent the bar the Cajun way. used an old pipe flange about 10" dia., held the bar on edge on the flange/pipe opening and wacked it with my small sledge while moving it each hit to get the gentle curve I needed, cut the 4 pieces to length leaving enough gap all around so it didn't bind, welded it all together and then welded in the 1/2 flat bar leaving about 3/8ths from edge for the glass to be glued in. used two toy box tilt hinges welded to windshield frame with a bolt welded to cab for adjusting tilt. a couple plastic wingnut knobs to hold in position and I've got a pretty nice windshield for less than $100. doesn't take much effort or time to bend the curve in the lower piece this way maybe 10-15 minutes, long ago when building a tug boat for my father we bent all the ribs for the hull out of 1/2 x 4 flat bar this same way. that wasn't quite so easy.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 62
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 63

Latest posts

Back