Gm v6 ?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

A friend of mine has a GM V6 in a Chevy Cavalier . It is an excellent running engine with remarkable low miles but the body is rusted out . He would like to save the engine to put in a hot rod project .

Are there any conventional rear wheel drive transmissions that this engine will bolt up to ?

Thx ,
Gonzo

not only the bolt pattern but there is no place to put a side mount on the motor .I dont even think there is any holes for one on it , If there was a way it would be interesting to see it .

I meet a guy couple yrs ago that put a 3.8 supercharged from a buick into a T roadster. He used a auto trans from a older s-10 pickup that had a 2.8 engine in it. See 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 liter engines all have same bolt pattern at bell housing. The trick is gettin coolant tubing and radiator hoses swaped around and building motor mounts. I believe you can build a mount thet bolts to the front of the engine on either side of the crank pulley. I hope some of this helps. With a little ingenuity anything can be made to work.:)

We can handle the motor mounts I'm sure but it's the transmission acceptance that's the stumbling block .

Gonzo

Like the guy's have said an early s10 with a 2.8 v6 should work, and I believe the bosses are on the block for side motor mounts, if not make a front motor plate like is used in drag and NASCAR racing. These engines are notorious for blowing out intake gaskets, running the coolant into the oil and then overheating, resulting in a popped head gasket, so watch for that. Being a 60 degree v6, Edelbrock makes or used to make a 4 barrel intake for it so you can put a carb on it, may hafta change the cam to use a conventional distributor, but other than those items should work good in a light hotrod!!

Latest posts

Back