Advice: Contact former owners?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neto

I bought a 49 Plymouth P15 model "parts car" in a salvage in 1981. Well, I still have it, and it's actually a pretty solid car. Coming out of a salvage, it was not at all complete, and since I was into restoration at the time, and because I already had started restoring a 46, at the time it didn't seem important to pursue getting a title for it. Anyway, after moving back to the US 10 years ago, about 6 years ago (2007) I requested a title search in Nebraska where I bought it, and of course they didn't find anything. It had a 1960 tag on it, so it had been setting for a long time already when I bought it. The salvage is no longer operating, I don't think, but I believe I may have located the former salvage owner, or at least a relative. I only have an unsigned, un-notorized bill of sale from the salvage, w/o any S/N listed. Would there be a benefit in trying to get a notarized statement from him, if it does turn out to be the right man? If so, what should it list/say?

I also found 2 payroll stubs in the car, which may have been from the former owner. Believe it or not, I'm pretty certain that I have located him (this is more certain than the identitiy of the salvage owner), with his current address & phone number.

Is there a danger of either of these men or their heirs trying to take the car from me, if I contact them? (The car is no longer in Nebraska, and I'm in a state other than where the car is located.)

call

l'd call or/and send a certified letter, if it is still in his name a release of interest or in lieu of title probably would work to the title. if he is deceased a next of kin might be able to help, not sure of the law in your'e state on that aspect.

Later

l'd call or/and send a certified letter, if it is still in his name a release of interest or in lieu of title probably would work to the title. if he is deceased a next of kin might be able to help, not sure of the law in your'e state on that aspect.

Later

Skull,

Thanks for the advice. Why the registered letter? (Just to know for certain that he gets it?) Who would you recommend I contact - the man I believe to be the last owner-operator, or the salvage owner? (I am more certain of my info for the last owner-operator than I am of the exact person who was operating the salvage.)

Do you have suggestions for the wording of a document I might ask him to sign & have notorized?
Like: I, John Doe, of <address>, former owner of <vehicle description>, hereby declare that I .... (I don't know what to put in after that.)

My older brother told me that he still has friends in that area, and he might be able to get someone to look into it for me. The last owner-operator now lives in another state. (It's amazing what all you can find on the internet. All I had was his first & last name & middle initial, and a guess as to that he lived in the area where I bought the car out of salvage. Earlier this year his wife passed away, and so his name wound up in the newspaper, with mention of that town in Nebraska. Then I was able to find his address & phone number. Really amazing for us old-timers....)

Might be better to use one of those title agents like Tripper was talking about.

That might be the best in the long run, but since I'm not sure yet what I'll do with it, I would like to get a title as cheaply as possible. (Wouldn't everybody.) Also, just to protect my ownership of the vehicle, as my Dad already caught someone in the back yard once who was apparently trying to steal it.

Might be better to use one of those title agents like Tripper was talking about.

Agreed! My girl can look up the title chain & can also see if there are any liens against the title... she only charges $5 for that! I've passed on several nice & cheap cars after I found about about bank liens against them. That's not to say they can't be removed but I didn't have the time or inclination. That report also tells the last time it was registered & to whom! I would suggest you get that straightened out B4 sinking any $$$ in it. Also helps if you have a bill of sale!

I would like to get a title as cheaply as possible. (Wouldn't everybody.) Also, just to protect my ownership of the vehicle, as my Dad already caught someone in the back yard once who was apparently trying to steal it.

It's extremely cheap, at least my girl is. She only charges $20 but I always tip her an additional $20. Believe me... it's worth *every* penny!

BoB

proof

registered letters have to be signed for and it is important in case you have to prove someone got the letter and signed off, keeps them honest in the long run.

sounds like tripper may have the answer, l'd PM him.

Later :cool:

What are the abandoned vehicle laws in the state where the car is. That might be worth looking into since you've owned it for so long. Otherwise I'd go with what Tripper suggests.

I thought we had it bad up here, to get a title for my A all I needed was a notarized affidavit, bill of sale and an appraisal from an accredited appraiser. Bill of sale didn't have a VIN listed, but the affidavit and appraisal did...

I thought we had it bad up here, to get a title for my A all I needed was a notarized affidavit, bill of sale and an appraisal from an accredited appraiser. Bill of sale didn't have a VIN listed, but the affidavit and appraisal did...

I know you're in Canada, but I'm still curious what sort of statement is made in the notarized affidavit. Is it a statement from you, saying that you own the vehicle, etc. or what?

Basically described the vehicle, motor, colour, etc. and my personal information, name birthday address and such. Really that was about it. Then the appraisal reconfirms the affidavit, and bill of sale for sellers information. I had a bit of a different scenario as the car was from out of province, and there was no existing record with the dmv. I guess they purged their records in 1984 and so anything not registered since before then no longer has a record.

Latest posts

Back