50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passenger side progress

Had to make a filler panel for the fuel filler hole in the cab before I could work on the mounts, since I have no english wheel or planishing hammer yet, the body hammer and dolly had to do... [;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC03879.jpg
    DSC03879.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC03880.jpg
    DSC03880.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC03870.jpg
    DSC03870.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03882.jpg
    DSC03882.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC03883.jpg
    DSC03883.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 80
How are you going to get gas in the tank now? :rolleyes:

I think my original tank has been replaced by the previous owner and I might use it. I might be taking the whole Ford Pinto thing to a new extreme... maybe, but it fits good there. I'm trying to save room in the back for a bear cooler.

Your build is coming along great. I love the suicide door idea.

I am going to leave most of the body work for another time. This year I am going to try and get both axles under it and get the brakes working. Since I am using the original engine and transmission I need to build a new cross member to support the transmission. It hangs way down there.

gold03

How are you going to get gas in the tank now? :rolleyes:

I think my original tank has been replaced by the previous owner and I might use it. I might be taking the whole Ford Pinto thing to a new extreme... maybe, but it fits good there. I'm trying to save room in the back for a bear cooler.

Your build is coming along great. I love the suicide door idea.

I am going to leave most of the body work for another time. This year I am going to try and get both axles under it and get the brakes working. Since I am using the original engine and transmission I need to build a new cross member to support the transmission. It hangs way down there.

gold03

Heh... yea the thought of a gas tank inside the cab with me doesn't exactly make me feel safe [cl
Bear cooler eh? that will be a big cooler... ;)

Thanks for the comments, yea I would be further along if I would have bought the frame and driveline, but I just can't see myself being happy without some sort of hot-rodding of it...

Rainman....You know what he meant!!!!! LOL

You got a nice fit on that patch, I guess it depends on what kind of bear you want to cool!![S

Beer.....Bear.....maybe Dirty Rat is a big guy! My nickname was Bear when I was working in dealerships.....I was cool...er!....:D

passenger side progress

I got started making the mount for the upper hinge mount tonight, so far its going much quicker than the other side =) [;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC03884.jpg
    DSC03884.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03885.jpg
    DSC03885.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 32
Looks like you got that down to a science....

I got started making the mount for the upper hinge mount tonight, so far its going much quicker than the other side =) [;)[;)[;)

Still like the idea of the hinges exposed like that....looks mechanical....[cl

you could always put the tank under the seat like an old jeep if that would make you feel better![cl

Looks good![P

Slower than expected, but progress anyhow

you could always put the tank under the seat like an old jeep if that would make you feel better![cl

Looks good![P

Thats true, that would make me feel so much more safe ;P

tig welded up the cab portion of the hinge mount, had to do some rework of the mount, but got it "spot" welded in, got the aluminum mount block drilled, tapped, and the hinge mounted so I can start on the door mount... [;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC03886.jpg
    DSC03886.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC03887.jpg
    DSC03887.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 40
Small update, the door mount is mocked up, I'll be tig welding it all up tomorrow and maybe getting it installed tomorrow or over the weekend...

The week didn't go as planned

However, I did manage to get some lighting done in the garage, I just couldn't take it anymore having the drop light in my face all the time....

In 2 weeks I'm ordering the steel for the frame as well.

So, on to the pics of the garage, and Daddy's lil' helper:

Attachments

• Daddys Helper.jpg
    Daddys Helper.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Lights 2.jpg
    Lights 2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Lights 1.jpg
    Lights 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
making progress =)

Finished the door mount, and spot welded it in.

Started on the lower mount, I will finish the cab portion tomorrow and start on the door portion.

Attachments

• DSC03888.jpg
    DSC03888.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC03889.jpg
    DSC03889.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 60
finished up the hinge mounts, just the latch left to do now.

Couple pics... Still having warpage issues, even with short stitching, and moving around, these doors are so damn flimsy, especially with no bottoms in them... I'll be cutting out areas on the inner door skin to hammer out some of the issues... when I weld in replacement panels for the door bottoms...[;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC03932.jpg
    DSC03932.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03933.jpg
    DSC03933.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC03934.jpg
    DSC03934.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC03935.jpg
    DSC03935.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 72
I have a 51 and am in Rochester Hills? I just bought a 4cyl cummings and may exchange with the flathead 8...

I think I follow what you are saying, are you building a 51 as a rat rod then or?
And you are replacing the flathead 8 with the 4cyl cummins?

Interested in a hemi at all? =)

passenger door, wrapping up the latch

Tonight I fabbed up the channel in the door to house the latch assembly.

All in all it went well, even with a delay to re-seat the end of the whip on the welder where the wire feed and gas go in... seems it started pulling out, and every once in a while I was not getting gas to the tip... loosen, reseat it back in where it belongs, tighten it up, and away I went... [;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC03939.JPG
    DSC03939.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC03938.JPG
    DSC03938.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC03937.JPG
    DSC03937.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC03936.JPG
    DSC03936.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 66
hey dirty did you make those latches? I like the exterior look of the suicide doors.

Thanks for the compliment! I really like it, if I could only find some ice box handles or mechanical latches for handles....

The latches are speedway, I just cant see fabbing them when they cost $14.99 I think...
No reason to mess with safety items!

Oh I almost forgot, ordered all the steel for the frame today.... [cl

Latest posts

Back