Compressor question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbj188

The wife bought me a 60 gallon single stage compressor that requires 240 volt. The question is there any possible way to run an extension cord from drier outlet in the house to the compressor in the garage. I have no outlet in garage and the wiring in the hose is knob and tube. I'm just wanting a safe way so I can use it. Any input greatly appreciated.

Thomas [;)

Talk to a reputable electrician in your area. He can tell you what is safe and legal. If you do it wrong you can burn the house down and if that happens the insurance co. will find any way to get out of paying. good luck.

dont know about the cord .. could you just bury a wire and tie into your outside box ? I guess if the cord is big enough to handle it . it will work [S Im not an electrician.. yea ,, like kenny c says :D

Years ago I ran my stick welder on a long extension cord from the house. Used about 75 feet of 10-3 Underground feeder and just laid it on the lawn. Rolled it up between uses. I'm not suggesting you do this, just telling you what I did.

Bob has the way to do it. Make sure you have 10-3 wire and quality plugs. I have one 220 outlet in my carport., I used a stove plug. I have a Ac plug wired to a male stove plug for my window unit, one on the 10-3 wire going to my air compressor, and one on my welder. I swap them as needed. Only downside is you can only use one at a time, and the wife gets ill if I leave th ac unplugged too long in hot weather!

I ran $6 stranded to my garage good for 50-60 amps.
My neighbor told me I could run another panel off my meter outside like he did if I need another stronger feed to th egarage. one feed goes into the house the other feed goes to a dryer plug on a gfci in a box on the ouitside of his house

Just make sure that you use the biggest gauge wire you can...Better if you run a direct circuit to your shop area!

Run the hose...

Would it be possible to install the compressor at the house and run the air hose to the garage? Just askin'.[S

Lynn

If it is very far, you could put a reserve tank in the garage to give you more volume.

Sorry.....that was an afterthought.

Lynn

The question is, how far from your dryer outlet to the air compressor? If it's only 25' or 30', 10/3 should work. If you have an electric dryer ya gotta remember to unplug the dryer before using the air compressor, otherwise you'll pop a breaker. I hard wired my I/R 5hp 80gal compressor to the dryer outlet using 10/3. It was only 10' though and we have a gas dryer now. Remember to upgrade the breaker to a good 50a unit.

Would it be possible to install the compressor at the house and run the air hose to the garage? Just askin'.[S

Lynn

That's exactly what I was gonna say lol. It would be nice and quite in the garage when the compressor kicked on too.

If its 25 feet or less a 30 amp camper extension cord would work, the one I have for may camper is 10/3 and 25' long.

nope lol..the wife will not have the compressor in the house...its probably only 25 to 35ft at the most way from the house... my house is old built in 1928 but i have 3 breaker boxes through out the house two new ones and one original...we have plaster walls so no rewiring will happen....I just may have to wait till we sell..I was promised my dream garage as soon as we sell this house....

Thomas[;)

Latest posts

Back