Stock angle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
A customer of mine bought this Plymouth and it rides worse than a Chuck Wagon. I went down to take a look at it yesterday and I believe that the coilovers on it should be mounted had a little bit of an angle not straight up and down. At least that's what I've always been taught. There are no part numbers are they qa1 Springs, the passenger side is all the way loose and the driver side in about half way up. The owner of the car previously was a big man so that could be the reason it was tightened up so much . Pushing on the back of the car does not move the suspension at all all Tire Flex. Even the coil spring that is tight I can move the coils around. So I'm assuming that they are not that heavy of a spring. Trying to get some feedback before I give him an answer on how we should proceed. what do you fine gentlemen think??

Attachments

• 1017201231c_HDR.jpg
    1017201231c_HDR.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 1017201231b_HDR.jpg
    1017201231b_HDR.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 37
  • 1017201231_HDR.jpg
    1017201231_HDR.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 36
If you haven't already done it, I'd suggest checking the rest of the suspension for binding.

Nice looking car. But it can still have hidden issues.

The angle isn't critical.

Looks and sounds to me, like the shocks are totally bottomed out. (Edit: Sorry, dutch. I was studying the pictures and writing as you posted!) It also appears to me, the lower mount has been raised twice, probably in effort to raise the ride height. The springs are likely shot, meaning they're fully and completely fatigued.

You are correct in saying that they are bottomed out. I did completely miss that when I look at them it was hard to get under the car. I don't want to just go throwing good money after bad. They did have the problem with the car bottoming out. So you're saying I should probably either try and see if those are rebuildable and replace the springs or just order something completely new

You are correct in saying that they are bottomed out. I did completely miss that when I look at them it was hard to get under the car. I don't want to just go throwing good money after bad. They did have the problem with the car bottoming out. So you're saying I should probably either try and see if those are rebuildable and replace the springs or just order something completely new

I would ask QA1. I understand their customer service is excellent...

It also looks like they are two different springs. I would suggest taking the springs and shocks apart and reinstall just the shocks and then check the travel. Someone on here had suggested or told how they determined spring rate I can't remember who or how.

There's two ways to go at this. One is trying to diagnose what went wrong and fix it The other is to leave the brackets and remove the coilovers, replacing them with the longest double adjustable shocks that will fit and springs of the proper length and spring rate.
Doc's suggestion is a good one. QA-1 is local and they do a good job. Viking is a spin off of QA-1 and they are good too. Also Ride Tech will spec the appropriate units. You can contact all of them and compare their advice and prices.

In my humble opinion, hot rods are generally oversprung and have shocks that are much too stiff. This is practically necessary on a low car with fenders where there is little room for wheel travel. Then, you have to rely on the tire sidewall for the ride.

Double adjustable shocks allow you to soften the compression and rebound. Using the longest shock and spring that will fit will help too.

There's two ways to go at this. One is trying to diagnose what went wrong and fix it The other is to leave the brackets and remove the coilovers, replacing them with the longest double adjustable shocks that will fit and springs of the proper length and spring rate.
Doc's suggestion is a good one. QA-1 is local and they do a good job. Viking is a spin off of QA-1 and they are good too. Also Ride Tech will spec the appropriate units. You can contact all of them and compare their advice and prices.

In my humble opinion, hot rods are generally oversprung and have shocks that are much too stiff. This is practically necessary on a low car with fenders where there is little room for wheel travel. Then, you have to rely on the tire sidewall for the ride.

Double adjustable shocks allow you to soften the compression and rebound. Using the longest shock and spring that will fit will help too.

I run vikings on a few rigs. I agree that most cars are over sprung. in will call qa1 tomorrow!! thanks guy's

Most definitely bottomed out.
Somewhere in the 200 to 250 range on springs.
I wouldn't think the shocks are bad just not heavy enough springs.

Latest posts

Back