1937 Ford Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made due by rotating the upper most plate of the lathe to an angle and running it toward the chuck by hand. It took a couple of tries to get the angle right.
The first time I did it at home, I did steps then filed it down to "grade". Your way is much better. There are some cool tools for longer pieces. But I am sure you already knew that. I just got a mini mill I want to make chips with. Already spent almost as much on tooling... It never ends. :D

I'm not a machinist by any means. The reason I have the machines is that a friend of mine and my Dad's new he was dying of cancer and had a few machines and some tooling. My Dad took machine shop classes in high school and always wanted to do some hobbyist stuff. He also new his days were numbered having C.O.P.D and heart issues. He said he would buy the buy the machines and tooling if I put them in my garage. My shop was pretty full at the time so I added sixteen feet to the garage. At one time I had one borrowed late and two more. There is a surface grinder, a Bridgeport milling machine, a horizontal bandsaw, a drill press and a hydraulic press. the band saw I bought and the press is a loan from a friend. Anny of the other stuff was bought at swap meets. I'm still learning to use stuff and breaking things as I learn. and tooling ain't cheap but less expensive than paying a machinist for one or two one off parts.

Nice tools. [cl I had some classes years ago in engineering school before they kicked me out for math issues. I got a different degree... I still love the toys, and can afford the little ones. I'm still learning, too.

Looks great Kenny.... Can't wait to get started on my frame. I wish I would have started with a better cab. Putting so much time in this cab. I'll know better for next time.

A little bit done today. I made the spacers for the lower shock mounts in the lathe. I turned and tapered and cut to length. They started out as spacers for the wheels that my cousin had for a pulling tractor. I think they came out pretty good for not being a machinist. I fit and weld up the upper and lower shock mounts to the axle and frame. The next project is building a gas tank and mounts for it.

Love the shock mounts!

Thanks. I will get through it all. Between you all and friends and family it will get better. Just it's all a little overwhelming and scary. The other problem is my seasonal affect disorder doesn't help matters. The lack of sleep from plowing snow also kicks my but. The good thing is that I'm stubborn enough to not let this beat me. Thanks again for the support.

Loosely assembled the truck for some more mock up and visual imaginering. I cut 30" out of the middle of the bed. This gives me an inside bed dimension of 46" wide by 48" long. The tire is a 6.00x16. I plan on running a 7.50x16 in the rear. I think it looks ok. Back to work.[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC01417.JPG
    DSC01417.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01416.JPG
    DSC01416.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01415.JPG
    DSC01415.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01418.JPG
    DSC01418.JPG