Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol
I sold the g body when I got the donor Dodge as I was assured the frame on it was good, snopro.
A guy saw the cutlass and offer me way more then I paid for it even without the parts I had already sold.
So of course that determined that the donor Dodge frame would be toast as well.
I picked up the 2 wheel drive S-10 this winter.
It’s the extended cab short box model that puts the wheel base within a half inch of the Dodge. If that as some list it as 123 inch wheel base. The Dodge is 123.5.
Plus the front track width is with in a half inch of the Dodge.
I have read where others have used the S 10 for this era of cars so the kick up behind the rear axle isn’t in surmountable.
I may even run the 4.3 unit as a cost saving measure.
So now your all caught up till tomorrow when things may change yet again.🙀😜😎
Torchie

Thanks for the recap, Torchie. I definitely won't disagree with the S10 as a good platform. I hope it works out well.

Todays goal. Get the inner rockers fitted and tacked in.
Sounds easy right? The DS was no biggie.;)
I may have mentioned how poorly these Bought rocker skins fit. Typical.
If you look at the first pic you can see that the lower part doesn't come anywhere near to being bent to a 90.
The DS was sort of like this but not as bad.
2nd Pic shows one of the 4 inner rocker pieces I cut out. All the same size.:eek:
First try was to use some wood clamps to squeeze the skin up into place.
It squeezed it but also rolled it inward.
2nd try.
I lowered all the safety stands a bit so the body was only hanging by the chain falls.
Stuck one of my trusty outboard motor stands under the rocker skin and let the body down. Pushing up on the rocker skin.
Unseen, as I didn't take a pic( I was sort of busy.:p [ddd) was a long block of wood inside the rockers to keep them from rolling in or collapsing.
Got them close. Lifted the body back up. Tacked the first of 2 inner pieces in. Then grunted the skins up to where they needed to be as they were close this time and clamped them.
Tomorrow I will fit in the second piece.
Thanks for visiting.
KOKO...
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 13
ooh i hear your pain .. NIce work tho!!

can i offer the following if the 2nd rocker is as bad shape wise..

lay it on the bench and clamp it between said bench and a piece of angle or box..

grab a short length of 2 x 4 wood maybe 10 to 12 long,, holding the block longitudinally and hitting the wood with an "FBH" (fairly big hammer)

Gently and repeatedly move up and down the rockers length till you get a straight line and the desired bend on the rocker - you might like to hammer / dolly to remove any kinks..

from memory these ole Mopars have a long lazy curve front to rear in those rockers, you may want to clamp 1/2 at a time ?

anyway luck !

crate

I'll bet if someone had told you before you began this project how much work you were in for, you might have passed on it :cool::D
I continues to impress me in what you've accomplished here in spite of incredible hurdles, personally and on the metal work. I really enjoy the daily updates, and general goings on, it's like we're hanging out with you in your shop [cl
Keep up the good work [P

Thanks for the tip. Crate.
I should have done that as I didn’t realize how far splayed out this side was.
It in there now though 😎
Thanks ZZ.
Well you get what you pay for. $300. What did I expect.😂
I wish you guys were hanging out in the shop with me. I could have used a couple if extra pairs of hands.
I had to manipulate all 4 chain falls to get the body to come down evenly.
All from under the car so I could eyeball the amount of bend.
Tomorrow may be a off day based on how I’m feeling right now.😳
Tired Torchie.

I worked alone for years and was fortunate, a couple years ago, to get a young man, 35 years old, that's very talented who wanted to learn how to build hotrods. I can point him in the direction I want him to go and he can do it :)
Oh, and he does extraordinary upholstery work.
I bought us a HP Tuner which he studied and then tuned the LS3 63 Nova we built.
Sorry for the ramblin :eek:
We either invest money, labor time or a combination of to get what we want. You sir are very talented.
[P[P[P

Thanks Dozer and OI.:)
As I have said before ,I suspect that most of us work alone and we all figure out ways to accomplish what we need to.:cool:
I was thinking about ZZ' post about sweating getting that Beautiful Packard body back on the frame.
When this one gets to the point that it's paint ready it will be back down on a frame.
OI. You are a lucky man to have help like that. That 35 year old is even luckier to have you as a mentor.:cool:
You will teach him correctly.[cl
Feeling a bit drained today so I think a day off is in order.
Watching it snow.......:eek:
Torchie

I'll bet if someone had told you before you began this project how much work you were in for, you might have passed on it :cool::D
I continues to impress me in what you've accomplished here in spite of incredible hurdles, personally and on the metal work. I really enjoy the daily updates, and general goings on, it's like we're hanging out with you in your shop [cl
Keep up the good work [P

X2. Wish I could be there to help and learn.

Coming along nicely[cl
I've made some dandy jerrie riged things to create a third hand :eek: Most of them worked :rolleyes:
Snowday is a good resting day[cl

Thanks kenny and Soltz.
I did wash my welding cap today. Hey Mercury Mac. How's it look.:D[;) [;)
Hopefully back at it tomorrow as the temps get back up into the 50's.:D [cl
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 28
It turned into an Interesting week.
Didn't feel great on Monday.
On Tuesday felt better and made the first 2 of 4 Dr's appointments. Also the start of car trouble.:(
Tuesday night turned into hell.
Couldn't keep anything in.:eek: :(
Weds. Brace appointment postponed. Still visiting the reading room ever 15 minutes.:confused:
The Drs office called and cancelled the Thursday appointment ,which I was going to cancel anyways.
Up all Thursday night. NO 2nd vaccine shot on Friday due to ongoing illness.:(
ER visit on Friday. All tests came back negative including a Covid swab.;)
Turns out to be good old stomach flu.
Things have settled down now but still need to do car repair which is going to be this weekend if all stays well.
Hopefully 2nd shot sometime next week.
As my dear old Grandfather used to say. " Boy. It's a great life if you don't weaken.":D
Torchie

Latest posts

Back