96 GMC rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what has helped me when I was swamped with life and work was to schedule just an Hour every sunday for shop time. Doesn't sound like much but that and a white board list helped a ton. I would feel overwelmed with the magnitude of the stuff needing to get done. Then I would walk away and say "Too much. Not starting now." But with the list and an hour a week you would be surprised how much you start knocking out. "I will just start this." (like your door frame) an hour here and there and all of a sudden you have a bunch done. Theraputic for me as well to just bang metal and not think of job / family / life / aches and pains too. [cl

Great Idea.....maybe one in the barn and one in the breezeway..

You know what has helped me when I was swamped with life and work was to schedule just an Hour every sunday for shop time. Doesn't sound like much but that and a white board list helped a ton. I would feel overwelmed with the magnitude of the stuff needing to get done. Then I would walk away and say "Too much. Not starting now." But with the list and an hour a week you would be surprised how much you start knocking out. "I will just start this." (like your door frame) an hour here and there and all of a sudden you have a bunch done. Theraputic for me as well to just bang metal and not think of job / family / life / aches and pains too. [cl

maybe one in the barn and one in the breezeway as I head to the barn....might help me get from A to B as well...and jog the memory a bit.......lol...

jfg has the right idea. That way when you get to the shop, you're not standing there for 15 minutes trying to figure out what to work on. You can then use that 15 minutes to remember where you set that last tool/bolt that was in your hand, your glasses, etc. :D

Aint that the truth....lol

jfg has the right idea. That way when you get to the shop, you're not standing there for 15 minutes trying to figure out what to work on. You can then use that 15 minutes to remember where you set that last tool/bolt that was in your hand, your glasses, etc. :D

I used to be able to "multi-task" like nothing.....now, if I set something down and start thinking about anything else...I have to hunt for that thing or think for a minute what I was doing last before I got sidetracked...LOL..[cl
Hope your happy!!! bringing up all this getting old crap.......lol

You can then use that 15 minutes to remember where you set that last tool/bolt that was in your hand, your glasses, etc. :D

Lol! Ain't that the truth! The damn floor monster in shop will run off with a wrench almost as soon as it touches the bench you set it on!

I like to clean my shop right after I trip over a pile of parts and fall into another pile. The whole day, after the swearing and flinging of objects, is spend cleaning house (shop)!

Glad we all ride the same boat. I used to right down everything that I wanted to do the next time I work on the Dodge. Quit doing that, not sure why. Now I look at it for half an hour and try to decide whats next...

Wasn't going to post these as it isn't much...

But was able to get the frames finish welded in over the last few mornings before work.....I've taken a couple days off Friday and Monday to try to get a long weekend into this....I will try to post pic's during the weekend....pray nothing gets in the way or comes up suddenly.......

Attachments

• doors with frames welded on 2 16 13.jpg
    doors with frames welded on 2 16 13.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 52
  • right door frame on 2 16 13.jpg
    right door frame on 2 16 13.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 49
Ok..4 days off last weekend and here is the update

Friday....went out to the barn, got it heated up and the oldest boy calls and says his brakes are bad on the F250....spent Friday afternoon doing that and mounting a trailer brake unit....didn't bother working on any of my stuff, wife wanted to go out to dinner.....Saturday....tried to finish fitting the doors to body and fenders.....had to drill out the door hinges (welded) and make them adjustable cause I assumed (wrongly) that the body would not flex at all...being of a later model (didn't weld in supports like I should have) (you can kick me later cause I've done it already) when I cut the roof off.....it did and kind of put me in a bind...the new doors were not fitting the body...so spent an entire day on that...now the doors, roof, fenders and body all fit together....this was Saturday....both doors now fit.....first light coat of filler...
Sunday...after church tried to finish doing some light body filler on the one door to see how it would work out....when the grandkids came over.....can't ignore my baby's so that was it for Sunday....
Monday.....got called into work for overtime and that's it.....my weekend progress....

Attachments

• 2 23 2013 Door fitment roughed in.jpg
    2 23 2013 Door fitment roughed in.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 57
The thing is Sarge that any attempt no matter how small the progress is is still a step in the forward direction.... so just that you started to finish a door doesn't mean that you didn't get much done, it means that you are getting closer to a finished ride!!! Keep it up bud! I want to see this baby on the road!

Yeah, I know.....just a bummin out phase...

The thing is Sarge that any attempt no matter how small the progress is is still a step in the forward direction.... so just that you started to finish a door doesn't mean that you didn't get much done, it means that you are getting closer to a finished ride!!! Keep it up bud! I want to see this baby on the road!

Actually got some more done and the doors are now basically done on both sides....been trying to get in the barn before work each day to do something....no matter how small...slow and steady.....
First pic is of the before and second is the after....had a huge gap to fix near the top of the frame....I can live with it now....

Attachments

• 2 22 2013 door problem left side.jpg
    2 22 2013 door problem left side.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 3 1 2013 left door fitment 2.jpg
    3 1 2013 left door fitment 2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 61
Looks good Sgt. I was about to say your gaps and portions are all spot on. But then I actually read your post and saw that is what you were working on. Doh! Lol

slow and steady, steady and slow, that's the way ya outta go......

So DR and I decided that there was no Creativity at Autorama this year...... next year we are going to be there with our trucks...... you should bring yours too.

Funny I told both the boys that maybe we need to

slow and steady, steady and slow, that's the way ya outta go......

So DR and I decided that there was no Creativity at Autorama this year...... next year we are going to be there with our trucks...... you should bring yours too.

wait and come back in a couple years cause it's the same old same old....did get to meet Rick Bacon (previous host of Muscle Car) and then saw Tim Strange the Search and restore host....both were just walking around and hardlly nobody recognized them??? Rick was cool about stopping and talking but Tim was downright cordial....Tim is a big dude....Rick was a lot shorter than I thought....guess I watch way to much tv....(after work though)...lol

I would really dig taking mine to the basement....by the way, Gene Winfield was cool as well....almost forgot about him....got to get my pic's downloaded of him working on the chop top...old school...oxyacetalyne welding and tons of hammering those welds....came out and talked to us and took some pics for some....me, I'd rather watch him work...lol

Had a visit with my daughter this weekend...

so not much time for anything solid...got a bug up my behind to narrow the bumper....so I did....2"....not finished welded yet but ....

Attachments

• front bumper cut down....1.jpg
    front bumper cut down....1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 58
  • front bumper cut down....2.jpg
    front bumper cut down....2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 50
  • front bumper cut down....3.jpg
    front bumper cut down....3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back