1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last of today's progress, I ran out of steam. I used 1/2 inch ply for the seats and am going to use two layers of 1/4" 6 ply Baltic birch laminated into a slight curve for the back. I bolted them together with the bottoms and stuck them in the RR to see how they fit the drivers side is 17 inches wide but I'm going to have to narrow the passenger side 1 inch due to the offset drive shaft.
I stuck a blanket in the bottom of the drivers seat and jumped in, can't believe how comfy these are compared to the fishing boat seats I had.

First week back to work since I had my ticker trouble, so I was pretty busy and not able to do much during the week.. Been working on the seats some more. Got the bases figured out, I used the bottom mounts and slider from an old Yukon shortened up for the drivers side and build a custom one for the passenger side that will allow me to tilt the seat forward to put stuff behind the seats when we are are out cruising. I had a bunch of left over vinyl from boat projects, So I'm using that up.
Unlike POP's my wife won't sew for me so I have to do it or it doesn't get done.

One more to go

Got an order from Speedway on Friday, should be the last of the items I need out of the good ole USA, thanks God the way our dollar is. The air bag cross member is making mounting the rad a real chore but I think I have it figured. Had to make a couple of cut outs in the IHC grill to fit it over the rad, but I can deal with those at a later date.

What type of rubber should I use to set the rad in for the mounts? Something fairly soft or hard neoprene?

With the Rad mount figured out the last of the major fabrication is done. I still have to install some Bear Claw door latches which will be the last of it. I can now tear it all apart and finish welding and gusseting the frame then start on final assembly.

On my '36 I have 3/8" rubber that looks like belting. The bolts that go through the brackets are longer and have springs between the brackets and the nuts. At the top of the rad there are rods going from wide on the firewall to maybe 8 or 9" wide on the back of the rad. On gravel roads the rad and grille shell rock sideways quite a bit. Maybe, it's just that you see it more when you have a set-up like ours [no hood or side curtains].

Attachments

• 36front bumper rad.jpg
    36front bumper rad.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 28
  • right upper hoses.jpg
    right upper hoses.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 30
On my '36 I have 3/8" rubber that looks like belting. The bolts that go through the brackets are longer and have springs between the brackets and the nuts. At the top of the rad there are rods going from wide on the firewall to maybe 8 or 9" wide on the back of the rad. On gravel roads the rad and grille shell rock sideways quite a bit. Maybe, it's just that you see it more when you have a set-up like ours [no hood or side curtains].

Thanks for the photos and info.

The set up for mounting the rad that Mac shows is the same way that Ford used to mount their flathead rads. Same as the setup in my 41 custom.
Your ride is looking real good.:cool: :D [cl
Torchie

Latest posts

Back