Bought this the other day

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey hot rod people!

I haven't been around much lately for a few good reasons (although I do try and catch up with the site every week or so), but some stuff has happened with this car from where I left off...

Managed to get a quite nice floor/firewall/parcel shelf all welded in and etch primed. The rust repairs were stacked three deep in some areas of the floor. The poor girl has had a pretty hard life!

Also made up some concealed hinges for the boot lid (trunk) - that could be a multi-page build thread in itself, what a complete nightmare - and got the lid hung again. I've got a period incorrect Desoto taillight on there as it has space to get a number plate light cut into it so I can mount the plate underneath it, should look a bit tidier that the stock bracket off the bumper.

Sorry, just realised that's a terrible quality photo. I also need some pics of the hinges...
It's latched with an FJ-60 Landcruiser rear window latch with a little trigger that can be reached from under the rear of the body.

We then underwent separation of church and state for maybe the 4th time for this build.

Started boxing out the rails, all perforated to hopefully get all the services run inside them. So far I've only run the rear brake line inside, but that seemed to work out OK.

Then I was happy enough with everything to disassemble then fully weld the whole lot and paint.

Used a water based epoxy on this one and I'm pretty happy with it

Made up some random bits of plumbing and hung them from the garden based rotary ceramic coating device:

Luckily they all fitted quite well into this old hot rod chassis that I had sitting around.

I've never gone under the axle with an exhaust before, but really had no choice.

It's all pretty tight, the left hand bank actually crosses over between the bellhousing and sump and then it all passes through portholes that I cut though the x-bracing and reinforced.

Then I had to document all of my cave paintings for future reference (all metric BTW) :

Because this happened:

Which is all good because that then allowed this to happen:

New shed is going to be12x12m x 5m high to the eaves (40x40ft x 16.5ft high in North American vernacular).
I really can't wait to have it all done. It's purely for building cars, we have other garages for parking our drivers and I have another good shed for my woodworking machines.
Still a few months away from being done, I have the shed kit delivered, but haven't started putting anything together yet.

New place is pretty nice - 70 acres roughly 50% grazing land and 50% natural bushland.
I'd like to say that I bought it for the kids to have more space:

But that's pretty much an outright lie, I just bought it for me to have all the things I like at my back door :D

Wow! that's a bunch of nice work! Really extensive floor pans and I love the new place. That's the only way to be for me. Far enough from neighbors not to have much trouble and plenty of country...way to go wendle![cl

Thanks Guys, I'll get some more progress up as soon as I can.
Once this shed is up and I'm over the shock of spending all the money on it I should be able to get moving pretty quick again. :D

Great backyard man....project is looking good too....except your
steering is on the wrong side:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

I'm about 50/50 on LHD/RHD builds. Most of my off road only cars seem to end up LHD due to packaging. It's usually easier to get a brake pedal into a LHD car as the master cylinder isn't trying to make love to the back of the engine. :)

Latest posts

Back