39 olds 2 door sedan chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut the B-pillar away from the roof under the drip rail. Split the top where ever it will work best - probably right around where the B-pillar is. Move the front forward with the A-pillar, move the back rearward aligning the quarters, and fill in the gap. If that is a flat glass rear window, you can cut down the window, otherwise you must cut around the window opening. There may be some relief cuts to be made to adjust for the width differences, but it shouldn't be too bad. The worst will probably be the rear corners - don't cut too low or you won't have enough metal to bend around.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitledch.jpg
    Untitledch.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 91
You can also cut the roof close to the rear window and tilt the rear section forward instead. Personally, I don't like how that changes the slope of the back.

You can also cut the roof close to the rear window and tilt the rear section forward instead. Personally, I don't like how that changes the slope of the back.

Both ways that Sam Fear told you would work. If you want to retain the factory look of the top only lower use his first suggestion. But be aware that this requores cutting the roof in half side to side and welding in a filler strip.

The 2nd way he told you about is the way that seems to be most used these days. Cut around the rear window opening. Move the enitre roof forward to line up with the A pillars. Then lay the rear window top forward to meet the roof.
This process usually envolves the making of the filler or sail panels that form the roof area around the rear window. And it give the car a more "fast back" look. Like a Chevy aerosedan style.

Now lets talk about the 3rd way.:eek:
You would chop it ala Sam's first post . Not split the roof and lean back the A pillars and windshield to make up the difference. That gives the front windshield a very raked back appearence. Look at some of the truck cabs that GJunktionMike has chopped on here to get an idea of this style.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Torchie.

Didn't even think of leaning the A-pillars on that style.

You could also avoid splitting the roof by cutting around the base of the rear and extend the trunk header forward. Not sure how that would look or how hard it would be?

Didn't even think of leaning the A-pillars on that style.
Too late Sam:)

You could also avoid splitting the roof by cutting around the base of the rear and extend the trunk header forward. Not sure how that would look or how hard it would be?

Extending the "Cat walk" as it seems to be called these days is an option. But then you would most likely have to do some sectioning of the trunk lid area to get the proper flow. The best option for the right look in my opion was your first suggestion Sam Fear about splitting the roof and having more of a stock look only lower.
Just my 1 cents.;)
Torchie.

I layed my roof..... a lil

I layed the roof on Eli.... My 40 chevy... It is shaping up nicely[;)... waiting on the weather to break so I can get back at it!

I suggest you photo shop the look you want, then brace everything up, measure how much you want, sleep on it, then start the chop.... Don't rush... it's just not worth it!:cool:

Latest posts

Back