40 ford pu hanging fenders for hood gap ~ suggestions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinokruzordinance

Hey all

Trying to rehang forty ford pickup fenders to match hood convex curve to fenders

I got fenders but the po cut the tabs of that bolt to the cab. He used sheet metal screws for his craigslist ad. I have a line on a grill that will help bring my front end into place. Currently im using 2 threaded rods with wing nuts in the grill opening.

Ive matched the fenders to the hood curve and to the cowl panel as close as i can. Still have some gapping at the apex of the fender curve.

Pix of someone elses fenders to cowl placement and hood would help a bunch.

Other suggestions?

No pics. But here's my experience with hanging Ford Fenders.
You will need to have everything. Grill. The flat piece above the grill that the hood latches to. The Radiator supports. Inner fender wells and Any and all fender braces and brackets.
Oh yeah. And LOTS of Patience.:D
What I do is to attach everything and then go around and start to make adjustments as nessecary. The front sheet metal on these vehicles were notorious for fitment when the truck was new and everything was cherry.Even harder after years of use and abuse.
And bear in mind that you may have to do some Gentle tweaking of some of the braces as well as the hood.
Keep at it and it will come. But don't beat yourself up if it is not perfect.
Torchie.

Torchie is right, you have to assemble the front clip as a unit and then have 3 guys there to bolt the whole thing onto the cab and frame. Bolt the fenders to the grille then lift that whole thing up onto the frame and insert a couple of bolts into the fenderwells to hold it temporarily in place, then start shimming and tweaking until it reasonably lines up.

As he also mentioned, you are dealing with 70+ year old sheetmetal and tolerances, these parts need to be massaged to make them go together and fit well. Sometimes just a fraction of an inch will make a huge difference. You will think it is never going to come together and all of a sudden it does.

That year is also notorious for having a gap between the hood and top of the fenders.

Don

Latest posts

Back