My unusual inline 6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MACKAZ

Australian inline 6 202 cubic inch. These engines are highly revered in Australia and are based off an early Buick design. My one is fitted with a late 60s aftermarket manifold with twin SU carburettors

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 183
I'm in New Zealand and these engines were put into anything and everything. They are still around. This is a "red" motor. First offered in 149cubc inches in about 61-62 they got bigger the later they went on 149,161,173,179,186 then 202. This is one of the very last 202s built as the metricised the engine cube sidestamping on them to 3.3 (litre). This came out of a 1981 Commodore. They went to a blue engine with a better flowing 9 port head,two barrel carb and electronic ignition. Finally a black motor with a 12 port head and fuel injection. Production discontinued 1986 and were replaced by Nissan RB20-30e motors in 1987. There is an older grey engine that was used from 1948 through to 1961 which was 132 later 138 cubic inches. They are rare, I've only ever seen one in my lifetime

Last edited:
202 red motor ran from 1971 through to 1979, available in high or low compression. This was the motor that took Holden to victory at Mt Panorama, Bathurst against Ford with their 351 Clevo V8. They were fitted into the full size sedans(Belmont, Kingswood and Premier) even the lower spec Statesman could be optioned with this motor. The Torana compact range got them too. All large comercials used it, van, ute and 1 Tonner. It was even fitted into the CF Bedford range sold thru Holden dealers Oz wide. Not a free revving as the 186 in std form but perform well with carb and exhaust upgrades.

Tex Smith ?

Tex Smith RIP ..had his roadster at a local car show a couple years ago just before he passed away. He had an Aussy 6 cyl in it. I don't know any more about the engine. . he wasn't feeling well and didn't want to talk and had some one else drive it back to his summer home.

these are cool motor alright.. buddy had the 186 .. it was bored to 192 'yella terra' head , triple carbs, lumpy cam.. in the GTR torana body.. thing was a rocket ! (same as this for those who aren't sure).. I repaired the front a couple times for him.. the he got rid of it...

a real cheap speed option for these is to put a 149 head on 186/202 ,, they have bigger valves , and offer a higher compression ratio. then a twin carb manifold. just that added a reasonable chunk of horses to these motors.. add all that to an Australian 3 speed vertical shift ("impala") brand floor shift (stock car boys love these shift assemblies) ... ahh the good old days

Attachments

• 1970-holden-lc-torana-gtr-replica-2-door-sedan.jpg
    1970-holden-lc-torana-gtr-replica-2-door-sedan.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back