Rear 4 Link and 3 Link questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowtech

I've been doing a lot of mock-ups with the 27 body and turtle deck I have to get everything laid out close to what I want. Caught a lot of problems I never realized by cutting lumber for a frame.

I'm now in the back trying to fit a suspension. It will be coilovers and a 4 or 3 link suspension. Trying to package the gas tank and battery behind the cab and there's my problem. In PA if I have a working truck lid on the turtle deck they may decide I have a trunk and no gas tanks in the trunk, the tank would have to be under the trunk floor to be okay. Not a problem if I get the suspension laid out right.

4 Link: Many I've seen have the upper bars angled out going forward from the center of the rear axle, no panhard bar, and the lower arms parallel to the frame. Any reason why I can't have the upper bars parallel to the frame and angle the lower bars into the center going forward from the axle? Would look like early Ford rear radius rods. Would I still need a panhard bar?

3 Link: The lower bars would be parallel to the frame and there would be 1 bar on top for locating the axle. This would need a panhard bar to help locate the axle.

The 4 Link would give the most room for a tank, I like this one best.

Anyone have any alternate ideas or comments

Lowtech

A two link (Truck arms) with a Panhard bar would give you the most room.

I've looked closely at doing that and right now it's plan B. What I envisioned for this method would look more like ladder bars but would give the same results. Look something like Speedway's Suspension Ladder Bars,
MFG. Part #: 91645159

Speedway-Universal-38-Inch-Rear-Ladder-Bar-Suspension-Kit,108148.html

Lowtech

4 Link: Any reason why I can't have the upper bars parallel to the frame and angle the lower bars into the center going forward from the axle? Would look like early Ford rear radius rods. Would I still need a panhard bar?

That arrangement is known as a Satchell link suspension. Suspension experts (which I am not!) claim that it is the best of the 4 links for handling, but it is not common because of packaging problems on most cars.

No panhard bar is needed as long as there is sufficient angle between the lower bars (most say 65 - 70 degrees)

That arrangement is known as a Satchell link suspension. Suspension experts (which I am not!) claim that it is the best of the 4 links for handling, but it is not common because of packaging problems on most cars.

No panhard bar is needed as long as there is sufficient angle between the lower bars (most say 65 - 70 degrees)

Thanks, I'll look into it

Lowtech

Leave the turtle deck off until after its registered. Make a wooden bed or something for temporary. [ddd :D

Latest posts

Back