Fenderless Trucks on s-10 frames..lets see em

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of one I seen at the GoodGuys show this year in Kansas City!!

Attachments

• PICT0043.jpg
    PICT0043.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 176
  • PICT0044 (800x600).jpg
    PICT0044 (800x600).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 273
  • PICT0046 (800x600).jpg
    PICT0046 (800x600).jpg
    161 KB · Views: 203
  • PICT0047 (800x600).jpg
    PICT0047 (800x600).jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 176
  • PICT0045 (800x600).jpg
    PICT0045 (800x600).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 167
didn't know someone had already started a thread about this....sorry....i just wanted to see if there were any kool trucks out there done this way...some guys have to go this way just to save money...i know its not the best looking truck, but i'm sure there is someone out there that has made a truck this way that looks good.......

The main issue is the radiator and grille being out front of the wheels giving it that dorky look.
295174-2.gif
Extending the frame a couple of feet might fix that but would require some fabrication skill.Motor mounts and extending the steering shaft mainly.Having the ifs out in front would be way outside the box i think :cool:

Yep, the one pictured above looks better than many, but how about a direct side shot of it? That's where i's very obvious that the proportions of the front end are all wrong. That and the ugly frame horns that stick out.

The one above with the horizontal style grille works better than most. Usually guys try to use a 30's style vertical grill and it just makes the proportions worse.

I have seen a picture of a 30's sedan on a home made frame with IFS instead of a straight axle pushed out where it needed to be. Looked OK.

Try to find some side shots of fenderless S-10 frame trucks - not 3/4 views, etc. , but full on side shots. You'll see the problem.

Yep, the one pictured above looks better than many, but how about a direct side shot of it? That's where i's very obvious that the proportions of the front end are all wrong. That and the ugly frame horns that stick out.

The one above with the horizontal style grille works better than most. Usually guys try to use a 30's style vertical grill and it just makes the proportions worse.

I have seen a picture of a 30's sedan on a home made frame with IFS instead of a straight axle pushed out where it needed to be. Looked OK.

Try to find some side shots of fenderless S-10 frame trucks - not 3/4 views, etc. , but full on side shots. You'll see the problem.

heres a side shot of one

Attachments

• Redneck Rumble 2008 079.jpg
    Redneck Rumble 2008 079.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 241
its all "opinions" and I dont listen to them, i got a 75 nova front end and i actually get compliments about it

NO rules to rat rodding

its all "opinions" and I dont listen to them, i got a 75 nova front end and i actually get compliments about it

NO rules to rat rodding

Do you have any pics posted of your 34? That may have been the car I saw with the IFS. You moved your front wheels forward a foot - that makes a big difference in balancing out the car. Did you keep the frame rails of the Nova or what?

I think a good looking open wheel IFS is possible. It's not going to be as clean as a straight axle, but who cares? I think Ford twin I beams are kinda cool myself.

In the end it all depends on what you want. If you want that traditional suicide axle look, a stock S10 frame isn't gonna get you there. But if the S10 frame is what you have to work with, then build it, have fun with it, and if you want down the line, change it up - it's only metal. :)

LDG, You have the front wheels up even with the radiator shell, like Sam said. Since I've seen your car many times I can attest that you did a nice job getting everything in the right place. The Nova front looks heavier and busier than a typical straight axle setup but yours doesn't detract from the overall good look you achieved building your car. So, in my opinion, you "follow the rule" of getting the front wheels in a good location. When I drove through Hugo today I thought about you, your brother and dad. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

LDG, You have the front wheels up even with the radiator shell, like Sam said. Since I've seen your car many times I can attest that you did a nice job getting everything in the right place. The Nova front looks heavier and busier than a typical straight axle setup but yours doesn't detract from the overall good look you achieved building your car. So, in my opinion, you "follow the rule" of getting the front wheels in a good location. When I drove through Hugo today I thought about you, your brother and dad. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Hey thanks, hope your thanksgiving went well too. I didnt start rippin into the rod yet, we've been workin on the garage to get it heated first then i wont be freezing too bad

some pics of the ride...

v4pkj6.jpg

jzea09.jpg

Man, that thing looks "butch" in the goodest way possible!:cool:

Dude, I mean that ONLY as a compliment! Totally cool that you don't have any bulk sticking out in front of the front wheels. I take it that's a rear-steer Nova subframe?

Thanks for sharing the bigger than avitar pics, LDG. I've been wanting to see some photos of your car for awhile now. Keep on Roddin'!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Now that one's done right! How about that? Awesome car! It's the first I've ever seen one look so naturally matched to the body without fenders.

T1

here is some side shots of my truck. i know its proportions are not perfect but i built it on a tight budget and i have less than 500 bucks in a complete chasis plus a 4.3 and a overdrive tranny i did not use. you could get the front to look a lot better by changing the steering box it was in the way of setting the radiator back to get the proportions the way i liked but i built it pretty cheap it turns a lot of heads and is a lot of fun!

Attachments

• rr1.jpg
    rr1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 214
  • rr2.jpg
    rr2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 132
  • rr3.jpg
    rr3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 132
Camaro1967406,
How hard do you think it would be for you to change over to a different frame if you ever decided to? Like a home made frame.

thanks for the compliments guys!

Shea Laking, its actually got the huge gear box on the front side, i just have it hidden next to the grill you really cant see it unless you look for it.

Whats really weird is because my whole front suspension is painted black I have actually gotten into some pretty traditional shows because they didnt notice the frontend

Latest posts

Back