S-10 chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilgription

I know this is a touchy subject on some forums , but does anybody have pictures of trucks on S-10 frames. I know some rods don't look poportionally correct on them but i was wondering if anybody out there had done this and how they turned out

Yep, it's been covered. You need to either keep the fenders on or move the IFS out front of the motor. Otherwise the proportions look bad. Then you still need to deal with a not too pretty front frame stub and suspension/steering system.

Just tried the search myself 'grip and could not access anything. There are some in the builds section for sure.Just keep going back into the old threads. Only thing that puts me off is the radiator hanging out front when fenderless. Don't even mind the frame and steering. I have a S-10 dd that i would like to put an old cab on. If that happened i would hide the radiator in the back and call it good. :D

Forgot, most forum search engines don't like S-10. Go to Google and use this search:

"s-10" site:ratrodsrule.com

maybe this one would narrow it down better:

s-10 frame site:ratrodsrule.com

or just use Google's advanced search function.

As stated earlier, S-10 frames/suspensions need fenders to hide the ugly. Here is my 48 chevy on a S-10

IMG_0448.jpg

Heres what Im building, a 40 pickup on a 96 S10 chassis. Front is basically stock except for trimming frame horns, and using tubular control arms and shock waves from air ride technologies. Had to trim frame pretty hard at firewall and made a new back clip fom 2X5X 1/8" tubing changing the wheelbase back to 112". Triangulated four bar and shockwaves out back, anyway heres a couple pics.

Attachments

• 19409.jpg
    19409.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 1940000002.jpg
    1940000002.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 194000000.jpg
    194000000.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 66
48 body scraper

built on s-10 frame,like to see fenders on these builds so you can't see a arms, but the best thing about rat rods is there is no right or wrong way build like you like

Attachments

• 20091221_4.JPG
    20091221_4.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 53
What year of S-10 frames do most like to use? I really dont want alot of extras in the engine compartment.

What year of S-10 frames do most like to use? I really dont want alot of extras in the engine compartment.

The frames are basically all the same...square trucks and rounded ones, but I think sqare trucks make better donors for other parts.....some had manual steering and manual brakes.

There were three wheelbases: std cab short bed was 108" (I think). std cab long bed was 117", and extednded cab was 123"

Here's my 51 f1 on an 84 S10 frame. No fenders, don't care what they say:D and no grille until I find a grille I like and can afford. I chose an 84 frame cuz it was cheap and had manual steering. All the s10 pickup frames are the same up to late 90s I think. Try not to use a wreck cuz it might be bent.
09-18-09bbbb010-1.jpg

Hey I know next to nothing, but heres my 2 cents anyway. If your putting fenders on, use the S-10. You get "modern" suspension, brakes and steering. Plus the ability to buy parts on your way up North (or wherever) at the local autoparts store.

The dude with the '40 Ford cab project looks great (Mud?) but I have to wonder would it have been just as easy (hard) to just build the whole frame? It looks like he put a lot of work into modifying that one. I find this all interesting because I'm getting ready to build a '35 Ford truck and I think (comments please) I'm just gonna build my own frame out of 2x4 steel. It just seems like the best over-all compromise between strength, cost, work involved, and getting the right ride height/stance.

Hey I know next to nothing, but heres my 2 cents anyway. If your putting fenders on, use the S-10. You get "modern" suspension, brakes and steering. Plus the ability to buy parts on your way up North (or wherever) at the local autoparts store.

The dude with the '40 Ford cab project looks great (Mud?) but I have to wonder would it have been just as easy (hard) to just build the whole frame? It looks like he put a lot of work into modifying that one. I find this all interesting because I'm getting ready to build a '35 Ford truck and I think (comments please) I'm just gonna build my own frame out of 2x4 steel. It just seems like the best over-all compromise between strength, cost, work involved, and getting the right ride height/stance.
440Clark,
There is quite a bit of fabrication involved, but Im building a truck with air ride and if I built the original chassis I would have a small fortune in the frame. This is a build on the cheap, and I want a decent ride and the look Im going for.

Mud,
Honestly I think you truck looks really sweet. How much work was involved getting the front wheels and fenders looking "right"? My truck isn't going to have fenders and I just want to make the best decision before I dive in.

Mud,
Honestly I think you truck looks really sweet. How much work was involved getting the front wheels and fenders looking "right"? My truck isn't going to have fenders and I just want to make the best decision before I dive in.

Clark,
Sorry for the delay, and thanks for the compliment, if your going fenderless, personally I wouldn't use a S10 chassis, but if you aren't dead set against fenders, it's an option. There's a bunch of fab work involved to make these early ford trucks fit, it's a lot easier with 48 up chevy trucks. Anyway heres a link to some pics of my truck on photobucket:
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/reddog37/?start=0

Here's my 51 f1 on an 84 S10 frame. No fenders, don't care what they say:D and no grille until I find a grille I like and can afford. I chose an 84 frame cuz it was cheap and had manual steering. All the s10 pickup frames are the same up to late 90s I think. Try not to use a wreck cuz it might be bent.
09-18-09bbbb010-1.jpg

Hey Fuzz what wheelbase of a frame did you use?

Latest posts

Back