JB's 1927 Dodge Brothers build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell

I was browsing Craigslis a couple weeks ago and found the PERFECT platform for a family-friendly Rat... A 1927 Dodge Brothers 124.

Here's what I'm starting with...
rat007.jpg

rat006.jpg

rat005.jpg

rat004.jpg

rat003.jpg

Coming off the trailer...
rat009.jpg

rat008.jpg

So that’s what it’s supposed to look like!

Looking forward to seeing how you build this one. [P

You have a lot more to work with than I did, have fun. :)

The front wheels were long gone... (21" solid steel) And there is virtually nothing out there to match the 5 on 6-1/2" bolt pattern, so I modified a set of Suzuki Samurai wheels to fit it, for rolling it around. I wish I had the original wheels, they would DEFINATELY be going back on it, with some wide whites. I will be buying a new tube front axle, spindles, steering and brakes... Just for safety's sake. I want to be able to load the family up and drive 300 or 400 miles to a show.

After an afternoon of mock up action, it's starting to look a little better...

rat012.jpg

rat011.jpg

rat010.jpg

rat013.jpg

This is (within 1") the suspension height I'm after. I will be building a quarter-elliptical front suspension, with cowl steering and probably a 4-link out back...

I have lots of goodies that I'll be selling off of it... Ie: spare tire carrier, glass, floor boards, heater, instrument cluster, hood, fenders, etc... It should really help with build $.
I y'all know of anybody needing this stuff, send me a message.

I've been planning, gathering parts, etc... so I haven't made any real progress yet.

rat_001.jpg

rat_003.jpg

Got the floor out of the way... In the next week or so, I'll pull the steering column/ box and brace the body for the channel. I plan on doing the channel next weekend. Going with a 4 or 5 inch channel and a 4" chop.

rat_005.jpg

Picked up the engine and transmission last night... A 70's 400 Mopar with a 727 auto. A big thanks to Jeremy and Logan for helping me get the engine...

rat_006.jpg

cool

nice starting chunk of iron[cl

same as ray said, ya got a lot more to work with than mine.

are ya leaving it a 4dr or making a 2dr conversion.

l will be following this one along as the build progress's.

Later:cool:

Wow, what a great catch! That's going to make an awesome ride! Please keep us posted!

Rattler

That body is in great shape... Got the makings for a cool rod...

I looked at the restored one too... Great lookin piece of history... It looks like they were pretty big cars

good luck with ur build

Man that thing is solid! [dr

I didn’t realize just how much of mine was gone until now. :(

Glad to see it’s getting a Mopar power plant, very cool. [cl

And yea, I like the ratted version much better. :cool:

No real progress yet... Been slowly gathering parts inbetween construction projects...
Got these vintage Edelbrock valve covers... Who in their right mind would use something this cool as "masking" for the rocker arms? They will clean up nice though. I'm going to bead blast them and polish the tops of the ribs and Edelbrock script...
garageocto_003.jpg

And, the best part...
A Offenhauser 3x2 intake...
offenhauser.jpg

I've been EXTREMELY busy with a MAJOR remodeling project and various other projects, but I am about ready to start back on the DB... I've been gathering parts like a madman.

Here's what I've picked up in the last couple weeks for the project:

1964 F-100 front axle

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 rear axle (71" WIDE!!! Shouldn't need any wheel spacers and, if my measurements are right, I'll have about 1" between the back of the tire and the body!)

FOUR 20" Dodge Ram steel spares... and tires (275/60R20 on the back and 245/50R20 on the front)

I ordered my tubing today (48' of 2"x4"-3/16") to build the frame and crossmembers...

I'll try to get a pic or three in a couple days, but I'm still waist deep in a remodeling project. JB

Latest posts

Back