swaged steel tubes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think they are strong enough.The seamless tubes with bungs welded on would be a lot stronger.Probably not the place to save money since those parts are keeping your behind off the pavement.

Depends on the application. I know different divisions of racing actually use them. They are not carrying the weight of the car. They are being pulled and pushed from the rotation of the wheels. Really would come down to the HP you running and tire size. If a mild build they should work fine. If some serious HP and wide tires would not be the best choice.

BSW

After seein what swedge tubes can handle in a race car I think they can handle a street car. I got a set of 10 in differant lengths for $15 at a swap meet. I figure I'll sell the ones I dont use. Got the rod heims for them too paid $10 for a whole set. I figure its cheaper and a lot easier than makin my own.

I've seen them on street driven cars. Been a little leery of them though. The 1" dia. tubes (use 3/4" Heims) are .095" wall & the 7/8" dia. tubes (use 5/8" Heims) are only .065" wall according to my Speedway Motors catalog.
They're available for a reasonable price. Would like to hear from some guys that have put street miles on them.

A friend of mine has 5/8 tubes and rod heims on the front and rear of his modelA and says they work fine. He does say that the heims chatter while goin down the hiway but he lubes them every trip to help with that. He puts on about 2000 miles in a summer. I also talked to a racin chassis builder friend of mine when I was considering using the swedge tubes and he also asked about engine hp and tire size. I'm gonna run a 9:1 355 chevy and
G60 or N50 tires. He said to run no less than a 3/4 swedge tube and heim setup, he said that would be as strong as chrome moly tube and be less expensive. With more than 35 yrs of buildin and racin modified racecars I believe in what he tells me. I'm gonna try it and see how it works, not worried about it.

swedge tubes

Hey there guys i'm new to the forum but not to swedge tubes i've used these on my superlate model stock cars for years with well over 550 hp 10 inch wide tires . aluminum tubes with3/4 inch heims never had one break they might break on impact but not when used normally . i built my own four link on my chevy roadster pickup 3/4" when i get time i'll post some pics.

Latest posts

Back