Cutting Windshield Rubber Molding

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwheels

Okay, i chopped the top of my truck 4 inches and am at a point where i am ready to install real windshield glass. My question at this point is: i purchased brand new rubber molding for my windshield which is a two piece windshield. Do to cutting the 4 inches out of the cab, i need to cut this molding, but i can't find any articles or threads on the best way to glue the molding back together after i make the cuts. I saw one that said use super glue, but i always thought that water will breakdown super glue, that is how the hospital unsticks peoples fingers. I thought about the black urethane glue used on newer windshields, but i am not sure that would hold the rubber molding together......Any idea's on how to attach the molding together after i cut it to fit my new windshield frame?

Thanks, Doug

What kind of glue, or process do the tire guys use when they repair a tire sidewall? Wonder if you could use the same kind of thing to 'weld' the ends together?

cutting rubber

In the how to chop tops (yellow book) they say to cut the moulding 1/4" big, heat up a knife cherry red, now take both ends of the rubber and hold them close togeather, get help sliding the red hot knife between the rubber, melting the rubber, slide the knife out and stick the ends togeather, making sure they are lined up perfect, hold them untill they cool down and you have a new 1 piece rubber, I'm just repeating what I have read, I think when the time comes, I will practice on the old rubber a few times, to make sure it works.

the factory i used to work at had rubber seals in some of machines. we cut them a little long and glued them with a glue sort of like superglue. i think its finger nail polish remover they use to get superglue loose.

Use Window urethane (black) to seal the ends together. I used it extensively when I was in the glass business. The stuff works great.:)

I recommend the hot knife trick.....I've done it several different ways until I started melting them together, now I use a putty knife and get it glowing red hot....it's a permanent deal and if done neatly, I think it looks the best.

The thing about using some kind of adhesive, other than windshield urethane (horribly messy stuff to work with), is that if you live in a climate where there's quite a variance in temperatures from season to season, the expansion and contraction of the rubber will eventually lead to an adhesion failure in the super glue.

I cut and ship hot rod glass all over the world and talk to hot rodders every day about this kind of stuff! I just joined this forum and if I can be of any help to you fellas, I sure will try.

Latest posts

Back